PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Yes, it was Don IV

and yes you are old
I am not old, I just feel old.

When I see Don V, then I will claim my Sr discount!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
I am not old, I just feel old.

When I see Don V, then I will claim my Sr discount!
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-12-2017, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I was very close to my Dad and he taught me a wide range of things like:
How to drop a tree within 6 inches of where you want it to hit the ground.
How to use wood working tools and how to fix cars.
How to build models; flying and non flying.
How to canoe and read the water.
But the best thing he ever taught me was PATIENCE! And keeping your cool in a crisis or embarrassing situations. Case in point: He was teaching me to canoe and stepped backwards into the canoe, while continuing the instruction. His foot came down just a little off center and the canoe flipped him into the lake. He climbed back on the dock, wrung the water out of his shirt, looked me in the eye and said, very calmly, "That's how NOT to get into a canoe."
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 440.50 MB
My dad taught me the importance of reading. We always had a subscription to Reader's Digest while I was growing up, and by the time I was 5, he had turned me on to the section "It Pays to Enrich Your Vocabulary." Dad also read the newspaper every day, from cover to cover, and could recall articles days or weeks later.

Dad also taught me the value of not taking myself too seriously. He had a sharp wit that could cut to the quick, but inevitably followed it up with, "Hey, I wouldn't pick on you if I didn't love you." He could also point out exactly which rock in the garden he found each of us under.

The one trait he gifted each and every one of his kids with was the love of cooking. Mom did most of the day to day cooking, but special meals where he could go all out were his forte. I still dream of sitting down to his special lasagna. I have the recipe, but mine never tastes quite right.

Dad's been gone 19 years now... and this year has been harder than most. Not sure why, but missing him a ton. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
From my grandfather, I learned his personal motto which has served me well: success is when opportunity meets preparedness. And the improved clinch knot and surgeons end loop.

From my father I learned a skill that has kept me going through school and in adult life: to cook in times richer and poorer. My dad has always had a keen ability to turn humble staples into truly nourishing and thoughtful food. And: to drive a manual transmission, fly fish, tie flies, prime pumps, choke an engine, use a jon boat, and make almost anything grow. And how to find time for family in a world where jobs seem to ask for all of our energy.

I am forever appreciative of my dad and want to enjoy all I can of him while I have him.
Google Adsense