PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Eli's first model

I was originally going to post this in my continuing 'builds' thread, but decided this was the more proper place for it (if not, let me know).

This is our oldest Grandson, Eli, and his first paper model.

Eli's first model-eli-7-09-2017-001a.jpgEli's first model-eli-7-09-2017-003a.jpgEli's first model-eli-7-09-2017-004a.jpgEli's first model-eli-7-09-2017-005a.jpg

Yesterday, Eli came to our home to spend the night with Memaw and Papaw. Now what makes this an 'event' for us is this; Eli is now twelve years old, and preteens have a way of not really wanting to interact with us 'old' folks much anymore (his older sister is getting ready for collage and we can hardly get more that a few words out of her unless we're on face book anymore). And, do not take this the wrong way, but he is very much like the character Sheldon from the 'Big Bang Theory'. He likes structure. Certain things should take place at certain times. And I mean EVERYTHING! Eating, washing hands, watching TV, etc. He is highly intelligent, and can carry on a conversation about science, astronomy and many other subjects that are way above my pay grade. (He can read some of his older sisters' course books and comprehend them!) And he is technical. Wants to know how things work, go together and why.
I tell you this because, as much as I love him, it has been frustrating for the both of us to relate since he was around 8 or 9 years old. When my dad was still alive, he expressed the same feelings; the kid is so knowledgeable and polite, but couldn't really 'connect'.
Last night, in a moment of trying to figure out how to hold his attention for more than half an hour, I went into my work area to sit and think. Now he knew I had been learning the fine art of card modeling, but had never said anything that would lead me to believe he had much interest beyond looking at them on the shelf.
Then he asked me how did I make them and who else does this.
We cruised through the site for quite awhile last night. The first time since he could sit on my lap that he really lit up over something I enjoyed doing.
This morning, at 6:00am, he woke up and looked up the site on his own. When I got up, he wanted me to show him how to make models!
So, I started looking up some of the simple models I had started with, but he wanted to build one that I had designed. Talk about a boost to the ego AND something we may have in common again!
Anyway, long story already, I'll cut to the chase; he seems to really love this as much as I do. I did do SOME of the cutting on the model he's holding (we will work on that skill next week), but the edging, gluing, lining up edges, all that 'technical' stuff; he did on his own after I explained how and why.
What you are looking at was built in about three hours of time. That includes moving tools and supplies out to the dinning room table so we could work together. Finally, it may be we have something in common again!
Oh, and as a side note, he liked the fact that the model he built, was a model of his Great, great, great Grandfathers' workshop.

I probably shared more information than most people would need (or care) to know, but I'm excited!
Hope Everyone has a Great Day! George
Google Adsense
Old 07-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That is very cool. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Great to see another generation of PMer in the making.😸
Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
George,
I think that is a great story. My Grandson and I enjoy the modeling hobby together, although he is into plastic, rather than paper. I think he enjoys the the painting of the model, more than the construction. I wish you both happy modeling and I think his model looks a heck of lot better than my first paper model.
John
Old 07-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
George, a great story and a great read - and it wasn't too long either!

Thank you - I enjoyed it a lot!
Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great story and I'm glad the connection with your grandson happened!

Wyvern
Old 07-09-2017, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is a great story and a very welcome addition to the hobby. It is so nice to see the interest light up in someone's eyes. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Excellent story and I hope that he continues to build. Very well done model for his first one. He may yet become a master modeler.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Loved your story George. I think any grand parent would be overjoyed to have a bond with a grandchild like you do. I'm happy for you both. Looks like Eli is off to a great start in a great hobby. Yeah, that's a good story!

Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Loved the story George and loved the outcome even more. Hope this continues way past the end of your days (and no one is anxious for that to happen).
Google Adsense