PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-20-2017, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
Dunkirk movie

Hi there, I went to see Dunkirk this afternoon. It is a fantastic movie for war buffs. If you like Spitfires then you are in for a treat. From what I have read, they used three spitfires of the appropriate mark and one Messerschmitt, which unfortunately is the Spanish version with the Merlin engine, the shape of which stands out like a sore thumb to a plane spotter. There are also plenty of ships for ship spotters, so I was happy on both counts.
What was also great was lack of cgi. Everything was real or models, and the models were interpreted very well, I didn't realise they were models until I got home and read about it.
I suggest seeing it in the cinema, as the sounds of the stukas dive bombing is really quite scary if you imagine yourself being on the beach and watching them bearing down upon you.

Robert
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I plan to see it this weekend

Isaac
Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Last weekend, there was a free advance showing of "Dunkirk" here at the U.S. Army War College. I was unable to attend, but look forward to seeing it next week.

Feedback from an Air Force USAWC colleague: "Worth seeing - very realistic view from the land, air and sea. The director will take several scenes and replay them from the eyes of combatants in all three domains - very interesting approach. It worked for me. // Sound effects: I had some difficulty understanding all the dialog during the combat scenes as the sounds of warfare drowned out the communication. (Maybe on purpose for realism?)"

I also recommend "Their Finest," a film about the making in 1940 of a "Mrs. Miniver-type film" about Dunkirk. Listed as a comedy, and there are comedic elements, but I found it also to be a strong drama that provided a sense of the atmosphere in southern England in the early years of the war and a deep look at the famous Ealing Studios at the time when they were making enduring films. I saw the version made for the American market, which apparently has a different (and to me more satisfactory) ending than the original UK version. Incidentally, "Their Finest" as shown in the United States had subtitles, which I very much appreciated.

Don
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I watched Their Finest last week...quite a nice film about the making of a British propaganda film.
I think the comedy was having to include an American actor to the story, just to pander to American audiences.
In a film about Brits saving Brits in a British conflict. (America not involved in WW2 at that time)

As always Bill Nighy is top notch.
And anything with Gemma Arterton gets my attention! lol

Not aware that there is a US/UK difference Don.
There is a new ending [spoiler] added to the film they are making in the story.
Is that the "alternate ending" you are referring to?

Subtitles Don? why for? I don't remember any foreign language scenes?

Dunkirk was filmed with IMAX cameras, so it deserves to be seen in IMAX.
Thats how I plan to see it.
Probably be another week for me though.

Last edited by airdave; 07-20-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Incidentally, "Their Finest" as shown in the United States had subtitles, which I very much appreciated. Don
British is a foreign language.
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
As a BAFTA member I saw "Their Finest" sans subtitles. Wonderful movie. Saw "Dunkirk" last night at an IMAX theater, again a BAFTA screening and was very impressed. The Hans Zimmer music score is unique to say the least. As Robert Wooley has noted the Spitfires are so bloody inspiring. Listen carefully and you can hear Sir Michael Caine giving instructions over the intercom. Definitely a go to movie, is getting great reviews and well worth the price of admission.

Derek
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
British is a foreign language.
You are just confused.
You've been listenin' to 'merican too long.
British is real language.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 AM

At my and my wife's age, we would welcome subtitles for ALL films. In the case of "Their Finest," the subtitles were not obtrusive and, since we watch a lot of non-English language films and opera, we are rather used to having subtitles.

The Wiki article on "Their Finest" addresses the alternate endings. I do not recommend reading it until after viewing the film. The "American" ending is more upbeat, and I personally found it very satisfying. A matter of taste.

With regard to language, I recall seeing an American fighter pilot from Tennessee who went by the name of "Big Ed" talking with a group of Japanese, British, and Australian aviators and, at one point, saying, "Ah wish y'all would talk Yoonited Statesian fer hevvins sake!"

Don
Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
The Wiki article on "Their Finest" addresses the alternate endings. I do not recommend reading it until after viewing the film. The "American" ending is more upbeat, and I personally found it very satisfying. A matter of taste.
Ah...ok...I think you misunderstand Don.
The wiki outline is the actual story/plot outline...
the story itself involves a major change to the end of the film within the film.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Finest

[Spoiler for those who haven't seen the film]
After Tom is killed on set, production on the film is halted.
The American Pilot returns to service.
They are unable to finish the film as scripted.
Catrin comes up with an alternate ending that solves some plot issues and that US audiences will accept.
-If the American pilot can't save the day, it needs to be the civilian woman that he has feelings for.
And the film gets finished with a new ending.
Afterwards, Catrin retires temporarily from Film production.
The film ends in a movie theater with Catrin seeing her efforts on screen and witnessing a fan's adoration.
She also views for the first time, the scenes of her and Tom that have been added to the film.
The end.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I did misunderstand the Wiki article.

Don
Google Adsense