PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
People here say Indiana's just as risky as the south, because we have tornadoes. I say a super tornado takes out an area maybe 1 mile wide x 4 miles long. But a hurricane can affect several states. Better off up here. Thoughts and prayers to all the folks in a hurricane harm's way.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I bugged out of Jacksonville Thursday, but not because of Irma: my wife and I are moving to Virginia. I finally cleared out my house this last week to turn it into a rental. I loaded up the last of our belongings and headed out.

Due to space restrictions, I had to ditch my built-up "Wyvern's Wild West" buildings. Great thing about paper- they can be re-constructed.

Wyvern
Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I remember, as a kid in the early 1940s, having a tropical storm (former hurricane) pass over us that still had a well organized eye. That was the scariest part. Very quickly, the howling winds dropped to nothing and the sun shown brightly. Not too long afterwards, the howling winds returned and the sun disappeared. My Dad let us all out of the basement to stand in the back yard for about 5 minutes during the eye's passage. Then he rushed us all back inside and bolted the storm doors leading down to the basement. It was during the war, so no way to evacuate (no gas) and no place any safer within driving distance. All our relatives were either in Florida (worse) or Ohio (impossible); We were in Alabama. The storm took down all the massive China Berry trees in the neighborhood (our house was not hit). In the basement, you could feel them hit the ground, but not hear anything except the wind. It is one of those things that are burned into your memory. I don't wish that on even my worst enemies! I hope all fare as well as we did, but I know that won't happen in real life.

John