PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: Would you display your card models at IPMS shows
I am very interested, tell me more. 17 41.46%
I have no interest whatsoever. 6 14.63%
I would exhibit models as "for display only". 13 31.71%
I would enter models into a judged paper category. 21 51.22%
I would be willing to help with judging card models. 15 36.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
I build for my own enjoyment and to improve my skills. To be honest, I really do not care about ribbons and trophies (if I get one along the way, great.). However, all I want to do is to share a hobby that I greatly enjoy and have loads of fun with with other people.

Like I like have mentioned before, I have had people tell me that paper model building is not "real" model building, because it is not plastic. With people like that, I ignore, do to the fact that they are nothing more than closed minded individuals.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Wait, IPMS doesn't stand for International Paper Modelling Society??? ROFL.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
I build for my own enjoyment and to improve my skills. To be honest, I really do not care about ribbons and trophies (if I get one along the way, great.). However, all I want to do is to share a hobby that I greatly enjoy and have loads of fun with with other people.

Like I like have mentioned before, I have had people tell me that paper model building is not "real" model building, because it is not plastic. With people like that, I ignore, do to the fact that they are nothing more than closed minded individuals.
That is exactly how I see these things too... !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pete View Post
I would certainly consider entering a card model at an IPMS contest. It would be best if there was a card category. Plastic can produce results just not possible in paper. Paper on the other hand takes skills not needed with plastic.
Dave Pete you are mistaken You actually can achieve the same results or even better. Simply using different material than plastic! Yes, it still requires skill, but certain components dont have to be card. Also you are probably thinking about card models in "standard" what means original kit colors or printed colors (most of us built them this way). Also card can be painted the same way as plastic, can have gaps filled with putty and can be sanded down! You can do almost everything out of paper but a sphere or figures e.g. in 1:35 ;P

Pple I've met at the shows who seen my models are kind of "afraid" of card - "I would not have patience to do it" ! - they never admit lack of skill, they think its origami or something. also knowing only plastic they got used to snapping parts out of the sprue not making them from flat piece of card into 3d object...

Regarding competitions - its our personal thing if we want or not to enter. Some of us need appreciation by ribbons and trophies, many of us do it for socializing and purely for hobby. But if there is a class for "wood models" why not for card? In mid - eastern Europe they have shows other way round - mostly card with bits of plastic :D

Cheers!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Here there is a local IPMS group, and they gather each month. They also hold an annual exhibition and contest. I recently found they have a Paper Models category which anyone could enter, along with "wood" and "metal" categories. However this three "special" categories can only enter exhibition, not the contest (limited to plastic).

A few of the IPMS members here have also build paper models occasionally, but their main medium is still plastic. Many have expressed their surprise and admiration for what can be achieved with paper. Some even stating they would/could never do that because it looks too difficult. Some members don't even care about paper. But the general attitude is one of respect towards the skills of the modeler, and of admiration for the final result when it is well done.

That last thing is important. In an exhibition I think it is good to show well-built models. A poorly finished paper model could just destroy the future interest of anyone seeing it, and also diminish whatever little respect they had for the medium.

That's why when talking to a plastic modeler, I always show him Doris's ships, Tomek's Airacobra, Beata's tanks, Bomarc's Mitchell, or Ze Reis' trucks - just to name a few. Their looks of "that could never be achieved with plastic and I don't believe it's paper" are priceless. Then after that I show some of my own (good) works, which are not up to such high standards.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
What does the P in IPMS stand for?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
"Piece of cake"
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-19-2017, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
"Piece of cake"
And the "S" stands for shake and bake. Just toss in glue and paint, shake the box and out falls a model.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
And I helped!!
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-20-2017, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Now that's funny Rick. I remember those commercials, especially the "Hillbilly" accent.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
The poll closes tomorrow, but I imagine that all those who intended to vote have already done so, so I want to thank everyone who chose to participate. I will pass the results on to the IPMS rep who reached out to me.
Google Adsense