PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
CCleaner Hacked

Looks like some scumbags decided to hack CCleaner 32 bit version.

Here is one site that has some information about the hack:
ccleaner-was-hacked-what-you-need-to-know
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Windows Defender caught it on my computer just today. I deleted all of Piriform's products. Thanks for letting people know about this.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I found the trojan on my system as well. However, it never activated, as I have several layers of protection, and my system is full 64 bit. It only affected older 32 bit systems.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Looks like some scumbags decided to hack CCleaner 32 bit version.

Here is one site that has some information about the hack:
ccleaner-was-hacked-what-you-need-to-know
Thank you very very much for the heads up.

I recently went through a lot of computer hassle when AVG installed a bloatware update that included a massive load of adware, junk-ware and nagware which slowed boot up, hogged resources, bombarded me with pop up ads, and caused freeze ups. It came close to trashing my system.

Apparently AVG went rogue after it was bought out by AVAST.

It took me a long of time to uninstall AVG, and the other stuff they sneaked onto my HD; I am not sure if I was able to do a complete clean up, there still could be registry hacks I could not find.

I am now using Windows Defender and MalwareBytes.

I am in the process of walling off my credit card and my PayPal account. I cannot get rid of them as I need a convenient way to pay for groceries and paper models, but I can reduce the hurt when someone hijacks them.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Thanks for the heads up on this, but I'm somewhat baffled as to what I'm looking for.

As I tend to surf in dubious areas of the web, and even into the so called Dark Web, I tend to run CCleaner every day before I close down. It is also set to notify me as soon as any updates are available, so I'm hopefully always running the latest version. So I would have undoubtedly passed through the affected update on my way to my current version V5.34.6207 32bit, but haven't experienced any problems.

As to 32bit or 64bit variations ... Although I do have a 64bit CPU, somewhere along the upgrade route ... XPpro(64) through Win7pro to Freebie Win10 pro, and all the following updates ( including a major one a few days ago), the 64bit tag got lost somewhere and I'm currently running Win10 pro 32 bit. Hence my CCleaner is now showing as a 32bit version.

Can anyone explain what the malware symptoms are so I can keep a watch out for them ... and of course,if anyone can advise me on how to upgrade my 32bit OS back to a 64bit one without having to rebuild all my databases and re-install all my progs and apps I'd be grateful. My other PC was successfully upped from W7pro64 to W10pro64, and thus runs a 64bit CCleaner. So I assume there's no worries there?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I am now using a 64 bit system but still ran a Norton power eraser scan just to be sure that there are no nasties in my system. Norton 360. "Never leave home without it".
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
CCleaner just updated to v5.35.6210 32 bit.
Still haven't had any problems with it though.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Never really liked CCleaner.......... its like the Ford v Chevy, Chocolate v Vanilla thing.

I've started using IObit stuff couple of years ago.........yeah I know, made in china.....but it's been effective for me, also like Glary Utilities.

Haven't had any problems with Advanced System Care, other than the nagware stuff they all have.........

Never been a bit AV fan either and when AVG crapped itself up that was justification for me.........I just don't open email from people I don't know and never click on a link from someone that I don't know.

But I do use IObit Malware Fighter........ used to use Spybot Search & Destory, but it started going a little wonkie so that's off the list for me.

Will stick with these until they start messing them up "improving" them..........then I'll try something else.

Just my 2 cents..............

My Drawings
Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Privazer (from Russia, I believe) has a good reputation. I have used it on and off for years. I does the most thorough cleaning I've ever seen. https://privazer.com/

I downloaded the latest CCleaner - v5.35 - and extracted the files from the installer, then checked it with Windows Defender. It's clean. If you Google CCleaner you will see that the malware that was in CCleaner targeted 20 large corporations in a corporate espionage scheme. They weren't after us, the little guys.