PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Personally I'd rather watch Dark Matter (cancelled after 3 of a 5 season story arc)
We are a bit behind in Germany and just got the first season as a free TV premiere. I must admit, this is the first show since the cancellation of the Stargate shows "Atlantis" & "Universe" that REALLY grabbed my attention. It is the first really good spaceship show that aired on SyFy IN AGES. You can definitely see similarities to "Stargate SG1" etc. which makes me consider both franchises being part of the same (TV) universe. I'm looking forward to seeing the next seasons.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Dave - with you on what a Klingon looks like, but I do count these too (or two).
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek Discovery ...review?-durassis.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Just to clarify, Dark Matter is ANOTHER hit Canadian SciFi series.
No, I'm not Canadian.
But I am proud of what comes out of Canada now.
We used to be known for some of the most pathetic TV programs ever aired.
In fact, through the 70s and 80s, we would deliberately avoid anything "made in canada".
Probably the only show that showed any sort of promise was Starlost...but even that was cringe worthy at times.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Dave - with you on what a Klingon looks like, but I do count these too (or two).

I don't have a problem with TNG or Movie Klingon...
if you take a good look, everything is the same except for the introduction of the turtle forheads.
And in the movies, they relaxed the ridges on some characters, so it actually supported the varied look.

The "new" Klingon look is so radically different, that it just doesn't make sense.
Especially when its supposed to be earlier in the timeline.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
perhaps interspecies breeding?
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.31 MB
Reboots

Reboots are becoming tedious to me. They have been going on for decades, but innocently so until recently... I recall the original ABC TV Batman show of the 60's. It was camp, silly, and short lived because it was all the same really.

We now have lived through several more versions of Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc. It seems that once we get comfortable or used to a particular version of a character or series, it must be redone in order to remain marketable for another generation.

In reality, Hollywood (I use this as a loose term for much American entertainment) is now running out of original ideas. American box office take is down again this year as heavily financed sequels have died due to poor attendance, poor ratings or both. New television shows mimic old ones, but with different names. We await a new version of the Blade Runner movie. Many more sequels are in the pipeline.

It seems we switch from one reboot to another just about every season, but I believe finally, this too will end. I predict that the domestic US movie market will continue to diminish and the global market too will decline as the international audience tires of the same old same old from Hollywood.

I watched the new Star Trek episode. To me it was awash with elements of political correctness, revamped melodrama, overdone costuming, and surprisingly more modern classes of starships than the ones they supposedly predate. The bridges are more roomier, better laid out; it seems that TOS bridges took many steps backward if the timeline for this new series is to be believed.

In conclusion, I won't have anymore to say about this new series as I won't pay money for a CBS subscription. I've seen my first and last episode. On the other hand, I do hope that this new Trek somehow morphs into something special. Sci-Fi-fi fans deserve no less.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I missed the first two episodes when they were free to stream, not having a tv and don't do any of the paid services. Wasn't all that enthused anyway never having been a big Star Trek fan. Reading an article on it in Sunday's NY Times it went on about due to some of the problems getting filming started that they were able to get the lead female character as that was who they wanted from the beginning due to her role in The Walking Dead. They showed one photo on "new" aliens and then on reading the caption saw it was Klingons and it was wtf? Guess I didn't miss much.
I like a lot of the comic book movies, but that's what I take them as. Having read SF almost since I learned to read, there's just not many of the movies that I get into that much. For the last few years, the remake of Solaris was pretty good (although thought the original one better); didn't get to see Moon which the few clips I've seen looks good; really liked Arrival and Twelve Monkeys for several years ago - nothing else pops up in my head.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Whulsey- try to catch 'Moon', it's a good little ( what I would call 'contained', like Silent Running) movie, and it's directed by David Bowie's son.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.28 MB
Yup, Moon is a great movie.
Low budget, done with little money, many brains and a superb writing.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 AM

Moon is an excellent film.
Duncan Jones (aka Zowie Bowie) has made some good films so far.
I really enjoyed Source Code.

I hear they are remaking Singing in the Rain.
[cocks gun, puts it to his head]
Do you think they might put The Rock or Vin Diesel in it?
Google Adsense