PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-06-2017, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Winter is coming.

Winter is coming. Judging from the white foothills, winter is here. Time to migrate....assuming the bed cover is ever installed on my pickup, heading south on the 16th to spend the white months in Placerville, CA. The bad news...I'm falling off the wagon. Time has come to actually build some of the kits I've accumulated, including the dreaded PLASTIC ones. I suppose I can be forgiven for the stick-and-tissue stuff (wood, after all, is nothing but raw material for paper), but the other.....oh, the shame of it. Included in the trove I'm transporting are the Trumpeter 1:200 USS Arizona (with four of the six available photoetch sets), one Revell 1:72 Gato, two Revell 1:72 Mk. VII U-boats (one with mine layer conversion kit, and both with a whole slew of resin and photoetch aftermarket sets), one Revell 1:72 Mk. IX U-boat (with ditto), one 1:72 Japanese Kaiten-carrier sub, one 1:72 Mk. XXIII U-boat, a Renwall atomic cannon, a 1:35 Leopold railgun, and as much smaller stuff as I can fit in the nooks and crannies of the pickup bed. BWAHAHAHAHA......anyone in the Placerville area that would mind playing Igor as I bring my creatures to life? Seriously, though....paper will not be left behind, as my portable stash of cardstock and trusty printer are also going with. And now the really serious question....are there any active IPMS clubs within the Placerville area? Considering my failing night vision, I wouldn't want to have to venture more than 20 minutes or so from Placerville, so downtown Sac is out.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The IPMS Chapter map makes it look like Sacramento is the closest.

See: Chapter Map | IPMS/USA Calendar
Old 10-07-2017, 02:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well Darwin, before you make some of your plastic kits, check to see what they are worth.

You may be shocked and decide to sell some rather. That's what I am doing as some of mine have now quadrupled or more in value! And sell the accessories seperately too!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Well Darwin, before you make some of your plastic kits, check to see what they are worth.

You may be shocked and decide to sell some rather. That's what I am doing as some of mine have now quadrupled or more in value! And sell the accessories seperately too!
Tell me about it, Kevin. One of the kits I considered building was my visible B-17 kit....until I checked it out on ebay. Tenfold increase over what I paid for it....my other investments should do so good. I'm afraid to check out what the old Star Trek models I got for my wife (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) are now going for. And then there is the box full of the role playing games from the 80s, including the first issue of D&D and Star Fleet Battles (which got removed from the market because of copyright infringement issues).
Old 10-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
At first I thought this was going to be about the Game of Thrones. wc
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2017, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
More like Game of Models.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
To me, modelling is modelling. I absolutely prefer paper over plastic any time but I too have a couple of plastic models on the shelves. I might wait with them until it is too late. There are too many paper models for now.
Have a good and safe journey southwest, you migrating bird.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
A few years ago I went to the Sacramento Military Museum. In the basement were scores of built up GMP paper models hanging on the walls. So there is or was a pretty dedicated paper modeler in the region. I wonder if they are still there.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Oops. Make that “GPM” models. Darn autocorrect.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
A few years ago I went to the Sacramento Military Museum. In the basement were scores of built up GMP paper models hanging on the walls. So there is or was a pretty dedicated paper modeler in the region. I wonder if they are still there.
I need to check this out this fall. Maybe take a day and do the Railroad museum in the morning, take the wife out for a nice lunch, then the military museum in the afternoon. That is, assuming I can get the fishing rod out of her hand for that long.