PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
I went to Oshkosh to work on the B-25 today and found EAA's B-17, "Aluminum Overcast tucked into the hangar for its annual inspection. I spent a little time wandering through it and sitting at the radio operater's station, the pilot's seat, and the bombardier's seat, and poking my head into the tail gunner's hatch and the belly turret. And I could not help thinking about what those young men -- just boys, many of them -- went through, and about the fact that for some of them, the inside of a B-17 was the last thing they ever saw. It seems sometimes that these old warbirds are full of ghosts.

I'm going back tomorrow morning. I'll take my camera.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
I went to Oshkosh to work on the B-25 today and found EAA's B-17, "Aluminum Overcast tucked into the hangar for its annual inspection. I spent a little time wandering through it and sitting at the radio operater's station, the pilot's seat, and the bombardier's seat, and poking my head into the tail gunner's hatch and the belly turret. And I could not help thinking about what those young men -- just boys, many of them -- went through, and about the fact that for some of them, the inside of a B-17 was the last thing they ever saw. It seems sometimes that these old warbirds are full of ghosts.

I'm going back tomorrow morning. I'll take my camera.
I've felt emotions only from reading about those men.
Can't imagine what it's actually like being inside one of those warbirds,
and having such connection with those ghosts from the past.

Yes, photos, please! as many as you can

Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
"Berlin Express" photos

EAA's B-17 showed up in the hangar this week for her annual inspection. I walked through the B-17 taking photos (see: EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast") and then took a few of the B-25 we're working on. I don't have any interior photos of the -25; except for the nose compartment, she's stripped to the bones and being converted for passengers. I'll try to get some interior shots of the nose compartment when I go back next week.

The engines have been sent out for overhaul. I spent the last few days working on the engine mounts -- cleaning (yuck!), checking inch by inch for rust, cracks, or corrosion, and sanding chips and dings to prep for painting. It's like being a gymnast on a ladder.

Cleaning is a serious matter because it's the only way to check thoroughly for cracks and corrosion, which if left untended on an engine mount can easily mess up your afternoon. It involves bristle, brushes, wire brushes, dental picks, rags, a spray bottle of mineral spirits, flashlight, mirror, some agility, and good balance --and of course a 12-foot ladder.

But it has its rewards, leaning through the mount to reach the firewall, I got an oil line in my ear. That was exciting.

It's tedious work but easier than trying to catch up with an engine that decides to fly on its own. And I'm having fun in spite of the tedium.

I guess this could turn into sort of a build thread if I keep describing the things I'm doing. I'm not trying to brag here; I have friends who ask regularly what kind of mischief I get into at the hangar. And I'm assuming there at least a few wing nuts on this forum who also might enjoy it. If you get tired of it, say so, and I'll shut up about it.
Attached Thumbnails
1:1 scale B-25 Project-be54.jpg   1:1 scale B-25 Project-be55.jpg   1:1 scale B-25 Project-be60.jpg   1:1 scale B-25 Project-be61.jpg   1:1 scale B-25 Project-be62.jpg  

1:1 scale B-25 Project-be63.jpg