PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Usborne Medieval Village

Usborne has/had some cut out models of a medieval cathedral, castle, town, and village.

Each ground tile for the different models is two sheets that are 12 x 18 inches/305 x 458 mm that when joined together form a ground tile 18 x 24 inches/458 x 610 mm (the books say 458 x 605 mm). So if you built all four models and joined all four ground tiles it would make a very large display of around 24 x 36 inches/610 x 915 mm give or take a few thangy squiggles.

I scanned and stitched the ground tile pages for the village to check out the process. I had to make two scans for each of the two pages then stitch them together because my scanner could not do an adequate job of making one scan of each page.

After saving the stitched pages I printed the two resulting pages and compared them to the originals in the book. The dimensions matched up so I laid them out them together like you are supposed to do when making the model.

It was then that I noticed a misalignment on one of the pathways. I thought that maybe there was a mistake made by me with the scanning and stitching and printing, but when I laid out the two pages from the book the same area was misaligned. So I will probaly use some of the oil pastels that I have to try to fix the misalignment.

You can see the problem in the narrow path in the lower part of the pictures.

village ground scan

village ground original

Stay tuned for more Adventures In Paper Model Making, brought to you by the makers of StickIt glue."If you don't like the way it holds, then StickIt!".
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is the layout with some corrections applied using the oil pastels mentioned earlier and compared to the first picture of the scan.

Looks to be a bit of an improvement.

I also applied corrections on the pages using layers in image editing software (PaintShopPro9) so if I decide to print the ground tiles out again the application of the oil pastels will not be necessary.

And now we will be right back after a word from our sponsor.