PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Dinner sounds like a great plan...Easy to make those other choices on a full stomach!

Sounds like an interesting build.

Mike
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
This forum really needs a like button, lol.

Beard
Why not use the rate this thread choice upper right on the pull down menu?

Mike
Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hi John,

I'm a wooden ship model builder at heart, but I completed my first paper model early last year. When it came to blocks and deadeyes, given that I was building a kit anyway, I didn't mind using purchased wooden blocks, especially since the ones I used were really nice quality blocks.

Even with wooden ship models, I haven't made deadeyes or blocks from scratch for several years. I am satisfied with using after marked wooden parts, as long as they look good.

Now, depending on scale, if you want to use paper deadeyes or blocks, Shipyard makes some really nice stuff that you have to assemble and paint. Not sure where to buy them now – they used to sell them directly on their website. That's how I got mine. But, I've heard from others that you can't buy direct from them now, at least not here in the U.S.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 10-31-2017, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Hello John,

I don't think for a moment that you are not capable of making paper deadeyes, but I just want to say that I personally find great satisfaction in doing the dumb repetitive work of making them from paper. So just for educational purposes and to encourage you a bit in your purism, here are some unnecessary hints:

I use 1 mm cardboard used for passepartouts for the middle disk and 0,5 mm thick cardboard from a cereal box for the outside disks, which are slightly bigger. I use a punch set I bought long ago. With white glue I glue them together, rolling them between my fingers, in a way that the middle disk stays in the middle, where it belongs. After drying I press small holes on the appropriate places, put the deadeye in a fitting hole in a piece of wood and drill. Coming out of the hole the deadeye looks much thicker caused by the paper slightly delaminating. I correct that by squeezing them with a pair of flat pliers and put CA glue around the edges.
Where necessary I give the deadeyes a metal wire to place them on the railing or the channel. If I want a chain connecting the deadeye to the hull, I use a mould.
Two dozen of them might take you an hour or two, which leaves you time enough for a walk in the rain.

time vs dollars vs being a purist vs selling out-img_0222.jpg time vs dollars vs being a purist vs selling out-img_0223.jpg time vs dollars vs being a purist vs selling out-img_0224.jpg time vs dollars vs being a purist vs selling out-img_0229.jpg time vs dollars vs being a purist vs selling out-img_0287.jpg time vs dollars vs being a purist vs selling out-img_0250.jpg

Last edited by abhovi; 10-31-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A wonderful little tutorial, abhovi!

You started a great thread, John.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2017, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
Do whatever you want. It is your model and your time. Do you place more value in building the parts yourself or the $5 to order them and being done sooner?

I know what I'd do in that situation. [order the parts, go for a walk/drink/dinner, finish the model sooner rather than later and then work on the next project]
Old 10-31-2017, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.35 MB
If is is dinner, then I presume you will have to decide on paper plates, or not....?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContourCraig View Post
If is is dinner, then I presume you will have to decide on paper plates, or not....?
What? There are other kinds of plates? Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!