PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
New-to-me cutting machine

I ran across this cutter through another modeling group. It looks a lot better than a Cricket, and is no more expensive than a mid-range printer. Has anyone had any experience with it?
https://www.micromark.com/Silhouette...c-cutting-tool
Old 11-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
No personal experience but some places have been discussing using the various versions of those cutters.
Check out the Papercrafter Tips on this site World Works Games Forum. There is a section dedicated to them. A lot of the discussion is specific to the models offered at WWG, but there is some information on the use of the machines.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
There was a thread about these cutters a while back. Have a read and maybe contact some of the posters ...

Cameo Silhouette

I decided that the part of making a paper model that I enjoy the most is the snippin', so I decided against buying one. Since then my hands and feet have been crippled by Chemotherapy, but, hard as it is now, I still enjoy the snippin' the most.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
I have a Cameo, not the 3, however.

I can post more tonight.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
You might want to take a look at the Silhouette Studio software first.
See if its something you want to learn.

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software

I don't see any mention of compatibility to other software.
Don't know if thats an issue or not.
Google Adsense
Old 11-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
According to: Pepakura Viewer for Silhouette CAMEO

Pepakura has a viewer that supports Silhouette CAMEO

But I don't have any actual experience.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
A lot of the folks that do wargaming use the Silhouette cutters. If you order models off the One Book Shelf sites, many of them come with Silhouette cutter files.

I personally find cutting to be part of the charm of this hobby
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
is anyone out there aware where you can try these cutters because i hate making frames and now this is big business in Polish paper model printers and costs are the same as the printed model itself! in Poliosh the word id WREG?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Ok, I am at home now, so I can type on a real keyboard instead of pecking at my phone...

I originally purchased the Cameo for cutting paint masks for some HO scale model railroad projects a friend and I were working on. We needed a repeatability and speed that neither of us felt we could accomplish given the timeframe we had to meet a deadline.

Setup and connecting to my Mac computer was fairly easy and straightforward, I'm assuming Windows users would have the same experience.

The Silhouette Studio software was included on CD with the cutter, I downloaded and installed a slightly newer version from their website.

About that software: I use Adobe Illustrator quite a bit, and have dabbled with CorelDraw and Inkscape. Because of this, I found the interface at least familiar.

One important feature: The free version of Silhouette Studio is VERY limited in file compatibility. You can import a DXF file, but that's about it. Upgraded versions will let you open PDF and other file formats. There is also a paid plugin that will let you drive the cutter directly from Illustrator or CorelDraw.

Using the machine was simply a matter of drawing the pattern or letters to be cut in Illustrator, exporting as a DXF, and then importing the DXF into Silhouette Studio. From there, all cutting speeds, material type/thickness selection, etc was done with the Studio software.

This past summer, I did purchase the Silhouette Connect plugin to cut directly from Illustrator, bypassing the DXF export/import steps. This pluging works with both Illustrator and CorelDraw, but only with certain versions. Check Silhouette America's website for complete info.

The machine can/does use registration marks to align itself properly for cutting images and graphics. Obviously, this is not necessary when cutting paint masks and/or vinyl,so I haven't had too much experience with this feature.

I've tried to touch on what I thought would be important highlights, by all means please ask if you have other questions!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
After having read several reviews and finding a good price on Amazon, I went ahead and ordered one of these little gems. I figured I would probably have to upgrade the software to the 'pro' version to make it usable, but got enough savings on the hardware to afford some software. Thanks for the input.