PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is an unfortunate situation. Every phone, tablet, mp3 player, or e-reader that I have purchased in the last 15 years or so had that dual usb cable with the removable electric plug on one end so you can access the larger usb plug that hooks up to the computers. You can use it to charge the device or transfer files between the device and computers.

Here is a photo of one of the many.
camera technical help-usb_charger.jpg
I think they get together at night and multiply.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
That is an unfortunate situation. Every phone, tablet, mp3 player, or e-reader that I have purchased in the last 15 years or so had that dual usb cable with the removable electric plug on one end so you can access the larger usb plug that hooks up to the computers. You can use it to charge the device or transfer files between the device and computers.

Here is a photo of one of the many.
Attachment 328694
I think they get together at night and multiply.
thas the option i want to go with,hunting for cable
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
It's really easy uploading from a phone directly. Transferring photos from a phone to a PC seems tedious. That's just me though.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Here's a twist though. Make sure the cable you get is a sync / charging cable. I made the mistake of getting a cable that was only for charging, so no matter how or where I plugged it into my computer, it never recognized the phone (it did charge it though).
Old 11-04-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Here's a twist though. Make sure the cable you get is a sync / charging cable. I made the mistake of getting a cable that was only for charging, so no matter how or where I plugged it into my computer, it never recognized the phone (it did charge it though).
understand that thanks.partner has newer samsung and thats what it has
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question Why make it complicated?

I would not recommend a phone.

A- if your hands shake, the picture will not be clear.
B- you need a tripod. This way the framing, the flash and timer can all function nicely and it looks better.
C- I would not want to clog up my phone with hundreds of model building pictures
D- Most phones take pictures at high resolution and each file is over 5 MB which is unnecessary for modeling. If you start changing resolutions for your models, you will forget to have it turned back when you need it.
E- simple cameras now a days are less than $50 USD and take an SD card that is easy to remove and slide to the PC SD slot ( unless you have a 15 year old PC as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Polaroid-...-Zoom/37700828

F- it makes no difference as to the brand. You can even get a generic store camera and it would be fine for this hobby.

I have always had a dedicated small camera that is set at modest resolution and mounted on a tripod.

Isaac
Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

B- you need a tripod. This way the framing, the flash and timer can all function nicely and it looks better.
C- I would not want to clog up my phone with hundreds of model building pictures
D- Most phones take pictures at high resolution and each file is over 5 MB which is unnecessary for modeling. If you start changing resolutions for your models, you will forget to have it turned back when you need it.
E- simple cameras now a days are less than $50 USD and take an SD card that is easy to remove and slide to the PC SD slot ( unless you have a 15 year old PC as well.

F- it makes no difference as to the brand. You can even get a generic store camera and it would be fine for this hobby.

I have always had a dedicated small camera that is set at modest resolution and mounted on a tripod.

Isaac
i understand what you are saying but using my phone which i already have is a cheaper option than buying a new digital camera.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:

Isaac
Your recommendations remind me of a person I once knew who back then bought a phone only because the phone camera had 41MP resolution (a Nokia Lumia 1020).

He was warned by several people (including me) that you never buy a phone because of the camera. You buy a phone because it is a phone and the connectivity it gives you.

You never need a 41 megapixels cameraphone if the only thing you do is to take selfies (which he did 95% of the time). If you need 41Mp for any other reason than just bragging, then just buy a real camera.

He ran into several of the problems you cite. Specially storage and file transfer: iirc, the Lumia 1020 didn't have an SD card, though it had 64Gb internal drive he used to fill with plenty of movies music and full-HD 1080p videos from the camera. But because the selfies and videos were so huge and he kept forgetting to change image resolution or video size, it was quite cumbersome to upload them to his Facebook. Even wireless transfer of files to the PC was a headache.

The phone only lasted a month or two in his hands before he sold it and changed to another one with a much less powerful camera. Another reason for the change was the OS. He viscerally hated Windows Phone, but still bought the Lumia because, you know: 41MP. He had only had Androids and could never understand Windows.

For modelling photography I agree a basic camera is just fine. I sometimes use the phone to give me an idea of the framing and/or lighting. But then I just take the photos with the camera. But not always at the 16MP the camera is capable of. After all, when seeing pictures over the internet, or browsing the forum on the phone or a tablet, or even the PC, image resolution doesn't need to be extremely high.

Herky's phone must have a camera of around 5MP with autofocus and led flash. Which is a quite good option if he doesn't want to buy a new camera yet. But he certainly must be careful with storage space. It can be a headache.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:

Isaac
A...if your hands shake that bad, then any photos and any camera are affected...why is this specifically a Camera/Phone problem?
Isaac, you just a shaky hand problem! LOL

B...An older flip phone will usually sit on its own without the need of a tripod. They make all kinds of tripods for smartphones.
There are also other methods of stabilization....including a paper selfie stand!
Many smartphones also feature a remote shutter release via the headphone cable, so you don't even have to hold the camera...and it won't shake!

C...My phone can literally store 10,000 photos in its onboard memory at high resolution...and another 1,00,000 in the installed SD card.
My phone isn't "clogged up".
Even a low memory-storage phone can handle a lot of photos.
But, do you plan on storing those pictures on your phone forever?...I thought we were already talking about the transfer to PC process?

D...Have you not changed a setting on your camera? Are you not required to change settings often when the photo conditions change?
Have you then changed those settings again the next time you take photos? Not that hard is it?
Have you forgotten to change settings? Sure you have, and you dealt with it
....so how is having to deal with settings on a camera-phone any different?

E...The point was, if he already had a camera-phone...then he already has a camera he may not have considered,
and $0 is much less than $50 for someone who isn't as well off as you.
The camera-phone idea was just presented as an alternative option...a low cost option*.
(*without implying that herky has financial issues, thats none of our business, but since Herky hasn't just gone out and bought a camera,
maybe hes in the same boat I am, and always looking for ways to avoid spending money uneccesarily?)

Sorry Isaac...I'm not the biggest fan of using my smart-phones camera.
I find the controls less comfortable.
but...in a pinch, or when I don't have access to my other cameras,
or if I didn't have another working camera and didn't want to spend more money...
it was a perfectly acceptable suggestion.

and...there are good reasons for high megapixel count.

High resolution cameras are made to compensate for lower functionality lenses and very small lens sizes.
By electronically increasing the resolution, the camera can compensate for its lens with the ability to simulate high resolution through digital manipulation
and can offer more adjustments, effects and filtering processes that are also electronically generated.

Nothing can replace the performance of a good quality glass lens.
I have anolder 5mp KodaK point and shoot camera with a zoom lens.
It looks like a mini SLR, but thats basically just styling.
But the image quality is more like a 10-15mp camera, due to its much larger
high quality glass lens.
Thats why I went through three of these same cameras!
The lens even offers a 10x zoom...but its a real optical zoom resulting in full resolution, high quality tele-photos.
And like other digital cameras, it also offers additional digital zoom strength.

Digital zoom is nothing more than "crop out the center of the photo and blow it up".
Which results in a blurry, grainy, low quality image.
Higher megapixel resolution means the processor can compensate and clean up the image further
giving you a better quality telephoto.
Another good reason for higher megapixels!

Herky...I'd offer to give you this Kodak camera of mine....its an amazing little camera for shooting models....if you didn't live on the other side of the planet!
It would probably cost $50 to ship it with all its accessories.
And, as Isaac has pointed out, there are new $50 cameras available.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
All options are now on the table. None are bad, so go have fun

Isaac
Google Adsense