PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
My wallet is glad to belong to a paper modeler.

Every now and then I pull out a box of plastic I still have laying around on the shelf. Just for the change. As we speak I am working on a plastic model.
Although I think it is usually very uninspiring to just put glue on two pre-shaped halves and put them together, I now have been hacking and sawing away to completely alter and rebuild this 1/94 Fokker F-27 model into a bizarre AWACS model (see my blog for the progress). I am enjoying myself enormously, it goes better than I could imagine beforehand.
But I am just shocked by how much it has cost me.
The model was from the thrift shop, costing me only 1,50 euros. And I have a big box of leftover styrene stuff for the greeblies and doodads. But the paint and primer already set me back 25 euros. I have to admit I didn't want to use brushes so I did buy rattle cans and I don't have an airbrush so yeah, it could have been cheaper. But this I think is still the best option for just the occasional once-in-a-year quality plastic build...
All in all I think I had to spend 30 somewhat euros on this build. Sandpaper, glue, selfmade decalsheets and some more. It actually is incredibly expensive compared to what you can get for next to nothing in paper modeling.

I unfortunately have to live on a very minimal budget but luckily, I manage well. It's plastic models like this that make me appreciate the ultimate low costs of paper modeling even more.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I started with paper models,went to plastic and then went right back to paper partially due to rising cost of paints and such but mostly because newer chemicals used give me cash and allergy. I feel much safer with paper related stuff since most of it can be had water based and very mild.
I won't even mention ease of cleaning after paper crafts
Old 12-20-2017, 08:23 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
How true!!!!!
The price of plastic kits is crazy. A airplane model that I remember buying when I was somewhat younger, ok, much younger, back then, like $1:50 now your lucky to find the same thing for $25. Then you need to add to that everything to finish the model, easily doubling the price. Then there’s the Opps factor. Make a mistake building a plastic kit and there goes big money. Making a mistake with paper, just reprint that page, that is if your using a downloaded kit.
I’ll just stick to paper, thank you.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
How true!!!!! [..]Then you need to add to that everything to finish the model, easily doubling the price.
Indeed! My definite "well, this $%^#&$% does it" moment for me was when I bought that seductive Revell 1/96 Saturn 5 and was so disappointed with the utter lack of quality of that pricey kit. In the end, it has cost me more than one and a half the kit price in detail sets and extra stuff to make something reasonably decent out of it. That and their 1/24 Gemini with the wrongest hatch doors imaginable was when I decided that perhaps paper odels might be more intereting.
I ordered the Delta 7 Gemini set and never even started the plastic version after I did the paper one...
Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
That's another thing. Paper models in digital format allow to do many modifications fairly easy n PS. Doing it in plastic can be a major problem with a lot of potential for a mistake.
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I bounce back and forth. I do mainly auto, truck and farm equipment models. For most of the farm stuff and trucks, much more available in paper at a lot lower price. And you're working with a lot of straight sheet metal or simple curves and very little 'fancy' parts. For the cars, especially the more modern ones, still tend to go plastic even thought I have to take a deep breath at some on the prices. But with a lot of compound curves and chrome, plastic still seems to work better. The new Molotow chrome markers from Germany may help with the chrome problem.