PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Which cardboars should I look for?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I really don't want to be OT with my first message but I'm kind of desperately looking for suggestions/support from people who know about paper/cardboards and creating structures with paper in general.

I'm not a modeler, my hobby is indeed quite different and it's related with electronics. I like create little electronic circuits, small radios, things with buttons and lights. Mostly I do this for creating little toys for my 18months son and, when I find some spare time, I do some more complex electronics project for myself, it's my hobby.

Now, you may wonder why I'm writing on this forum, well, the answer is simple: I'm very bad in creating nice "packages" for my creations. I hate working with metal or plastic and I believe paper and cardboard give a lot more flexibility and space for creativity.

Since I've no experience with working with paper (other than scissors and glue) I started googling around to find some more information about the tools required, the type of cardboard I should use, the techniques etc...
Now I know a bit more but I also have a lot of more questions.

Let's start with explaining what I want to achieve.
Since I'm a beginner I want to start with something easy: create a box which would be sturdy enough to contain a simple 5cm*5cm electronic board and some buttons and potentiometers mounted on one of its faces.
I'd like to buy some carboard but I don't know what would be the best type for this purpose.
I'd Like something similar to the one used in kid's cubes toys or kid's books (see picture).

Which cardboars should I look for?-img_20180421_152409.jpg

Which cardboars should I look for?-img_20180421_152358.jpg

Any idea what I should look for online?

Thanks a lot for your answers and excuse me if I'm OT.
Gab
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
I believe there was a message a while back that included a video link were a paper model was modified with an electric motor, then lights (even gunfire) and flown. Memory has deserted me, I hope someone will understand and provide the link, if it is still running.
Otherwise consider model railroads.

Bob Neill
Old 04-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Look for some stuff called chipboard. The medium to heavyweight would probably be good for a sturdy box. Another source would be to use the backers from a pads of paper.

Cereal boxes are useful as a source, but it is not as thick as chipboard.

If you get into the hobby of paper models you will begin to collect all kinds of different paper and cardstock.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
How about mat board that is used in framing art work. Available in a wide range of colors and textures. If you live near a Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, etc you'll find a treasure trove.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
what I use when I need cardboard is Ram Board (link below). It is 1mm thick and
comes in 38"x 50' and 38"x 100' rolls. The 50' rolls run between $24.00 to $30.00.
You can get it at Lowes or HomeDepot. I don't know if you can get it at Ace or Menards.
It can be layered to get the thickness you want. Elmer's school glue holds it good,
just spread it in a thin layer, put the next layer of ramboard on and something to weight it down.
let it dry for about 1/2 hour, and there you go.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ram-Boar...8x50/202823781
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
I apologize, I tend to be short winded. When I saw your interest in electronics, I jumped into the idea of the multiple options in model railroading. For buildings as from Clever Models or Fiddlersgreen, I often glue the printed paper to cereal box type cardboard.
For something to be handled by little fingers, possibly building something as a pop can model. I am not sure about sharp edges like wing edges, perhaps cardstock to increase thickness. Aluminum does not get sharp as iron does, but with tender little fingers...

Bob Neill
Old 04-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks everyone for the answers, all very useful.
I had a better look around and chipboard seems to be what I'm looking for and it looks fairly easy to obtain here in Spain.

Home depot website keeps glitching on me so I haven't been able to see what Ram Board is, I hope to be able to have a look tomorrow.

In general I like the idea of layering several sheets of cardboard to obtain the desired thickness, and save some bucks too using cereal boxes cardboard, I'll definitely give it a try, do you have any other suggestion than Elmer's school glue to stick the layers together?

Thanks again!
Gab
Old 04-22-2018, 01:43 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
A spray adhesive or contact cement would work well when laminating the sheets
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a Ram Board website.
https://www.ramboard.com/
I do not know what the equivalent in Spain would be. Maybe it is the same stuff.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
the only "Glue" that i have used that did not work was a past stick.
every other glue that i have used on the ramboard worked good.
CA glue plastized it.
Google Adsense

Tags
box, cardboard