PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
RIP Robert Weeks

My father passed away at 91 on Monday April 30, after a relatively short illness. Thankfully my wife and I were there to help him on his way. I was holding his hand when he took his last breath. He was a WWII veteran, enlisting in the Army Air Corps while still in high school (received a wartime diploma). He spent the last 4 weeks of his life at the FDR VA Hospital, Montrose, NY, and was housed in the Federal long term care facility under hospice care. He received excellent care from a dedicated staff, most of whom were military veterans themselves.

What I want to share is what occurred after his death. It's long, so if you want to get back to paper model stuff, stop here.

First of all, I'm so glad I got him into the VA system - the respect and care he was shown at the Castle Point VA Hospital, and then at Montrose was profound. An hour or so after his passing, he was washed, placed in a body bag and and was solemnly transported to the on-site mortuary in a special flag covered gurney. The procession included me, my brother and our wives, a couple of veteran volunteers, a police officer, a VA fireman, 2 nurses that cared for him (one weeped quietly most of the way), a VA coordinator, and the pastor. After arriving at the mortuary, the flag was removed, and a folding ceremony was undertaken. His room was cleaned, and a flag bedspread was placed over his bed, to remain in place for 24 hours. In the doorway of his room, a small table was set up with the folded flag in a triangular presentation box, a white faux candle (battery), red white and blue flowers, and a personalized placard with his name, service branch logo, and dates of service.

On May 1 there was a touching ceremony outside his room. Veterans held flags of the 5 branches with the army flag (army air corps) in the center. My brother and our wives were there, my daughter Julia and her husband, and my father's girlfriend, Doreen. His nurses and Dr were present as was a number of veterans, some of whom were residents of the long term care facility - my father's "neighbors" so to speak. There was a prayer, and after coming to attention, several names (a roll call) were announced, and answered "present". My father's rank and name was called out 3 times slowly, and when there was no reply, a resident veteran who was also a saxophonist played "Amazing Grace" and the TAPS. A recording of a 21 gun salute followed. The flags were retired, and the ceremony ended. Hugs and condolences were given individually to us all by the attending residents, the floor staff, nurses, Dr, pastor, etc. It was a real tear jerker, let me tell you.

These rituals are performed by the staff for every veteran who passes there, whether family is present or not.

There has been a lot of bad press in recent years about our VA Hospital system, and although there are undoubtedly weaknesses in some overwhelmed facilities, my family's experience with the VA has been nothing but positive.
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2018, 06:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Sorry for your loss Don.........sounds like not all VA Hospitals are as bad as the news reports. I'm glad they were able to so the respect your farther deserved.

My Drawings
Old 05-02-2018, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
As one brother in arms to another. Rest in Peace my brother. It was earned with your blood, sweat, and tears. May we all meet at the great airfield in the sky.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I have been taken care of by the VA Hospital in Tampa Fl for 47 years. NEVER ONCE in all that time did I
ever meet anyone who was not pleasant, courteous and very respectful. Many of the staff started working there as young people and I have followed them their entire 20+ careers. I have attended many of their retirement parties. I went for my annual checkup week ago and it was like a family reunion. I can guarantee you that you will never find a more wonderful group of people. My wife is subject to the civilian medical system and it is an absolute nightmare. The reports I hear of problems in the VA system just astound me.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-02-2018, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.43 GB
My condolences. I'm sorry for your loss. Glad you did everything you could for him. One of the aspects that I admire most in your country is the respect for those who fought for their people and their way of life. Unfortunately in my country this is quite different. I, as a police officer, feel this both by myself and by other colleagues and that is why his country occupies its rightful place in the game. Because of men like your father.
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
I am so sorry for your loss.
But I am truly touched by your story of the respect shown you and your family by your local VA Hospital. The service I receive from The Viera VA Clinic here in Florida had been nothing short of spectacular.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
From one vet to another - rest in peace my brother, you earned it.

Don, to you and your family, my deepest condolences and sympathy.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
I regret your loss, your father will rest in peace in a better place, they are very sad and difficult moments, it is difficult to recover, I lost my father when I was a teenager, with the support of your family and loved ones will go ahead, good memories will accompany you always.A greeting
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Rest in peace my brother.

Don, my condolences as well. It is hard to lose your father. I am glad
there is still respect out there in the system for us vets and retirees,
and that your dad and family were treated so respectfully.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
My condolences Don.

Bob
Google Adsense