PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
The debate in this thread is a reflection of how far western societies have accepted the rhetoric of the looney left about identity politics and all the rest of idiotic, intellectually empty claptrap we get peddled by the media and people who should know better.
That's very true - it can all go too far. In the UK hot cross buns are now an issue even.....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/41...-avoid-offence

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...hristians.html

So any foodie considering a hot cross model had better think again!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
... So any foodie considering a hot cross model had better think again! ...

Actually, something similar has been a source of controversy on US college campuses; a couple of years ago, Oberlin College, in Ohio, was rocked by protests and heated student/administration confrontations over the issue of some sandwiches that had been served in the college dining hall.

Some of the students felt they had been hurt and insulted because the sandwiches represented a particularly abusive and demeaning form of cultural appropriation.
As applied to modelling, if our models are not sincere, heartfelt and minutely accurate, they could be interpreted as hurtful and inappropriate appropriations.

The defense would be that if modeling is an art form rather than a technical exercise, then the model is an artistic interpretation which has to be judged on the basis of the artist's statement, rather than on the intrinsic properties of the model itself.

That would make judging at IPMS contests rather difficult!
Probably the only safe paper modeling subjects are the flower arrangements that are on the Canon, Kirin and Epson web sites. but I think even these would have to be accompanied by a trigger warning, since some people with allergies might be bothered be representations of pollen producers.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
No one has the right to not be offended. You have the right to express your offense, but political correctness can be taken to extremes.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
yeah...sandwiches often offend me.

HERO sandwich...insulting to weak girly-men.
The RUBEN.....offensive to watercolourists
BLT...LGBT community totally confused
Banana & Peanut Butter...offensive to everyone.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Political correctness needs to be flushed down the toilet. If something offends you stay away from it but do not try to force your beliefs on others. You have every right to be offended but at the same time you have no right to force others to change their views to pacify you. Political correctness is one of the very worst things that has happened to this world, people need to toughen up and realize that not everything is going to be the way they want it to be. I for one am sick of it and I am not now nor was I ever politically correct. My rant is over. Now I think I'll go build a model of the Titanic surrounded by Ford Pintos with Confederate flags painted on their tops. lol
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2018, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
All i will add on this is that i have made the DC 10 model over 40 times now since it was kindly recoloured for me.All those builds have been at the requests of people such as myself who have a connection to this disaster.I have had NO negative coments from these people.All the negative comments were from general people who had little or no knowledge or connection to the events and to be honest their opinions mean absolute zilch to me.Many people now have a memorial rather than a painfull past rememberance.So my work is done.Was sad doing it but happy it meant so much to so many.I guess my sentiments are a mirror of dwest on this subject