PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Ethics of model design choices.

OK due to a conversation in another forum i had recently i thought i would put this out for comments and thoughts. Designer was asking for design ideas for a large ferry model. Having interest in maritime history i suggested ESTONIA that sank when bow door broke off. Was told it was not god idea as so many people had died on it. OK so on that basis how come every other liner model is of titantic. I think models can be a good tribute or memorial to these tragic events and are not a subject to be avoided.In my own personal experience i lost many close freinds in the air new zealand erebus crash and was greatly comforted when after taking up paper models a kind designer on here did a recolour of model into specific aircraft involved,meant a great deal to me .

SO what are the boundaries in model design or should there even be boundaries,just interested to hear members thought oon this,There are no right or wrong answers
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I would say design it or any other model. I believe the refusal to design any model is more of a personal nature than ethics. Placing boundaries of that nature on any model design sounds more like censorship than anything else. As you stated, look at all of the Titanic models as well as the HMS Britannic plus many other ships that sank with great loss of life. The same could be said for models of any aircraft flown by an ace or bomber crew.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
I would say design it or any other model. I believe the refusal to design any model is more of a personal nature than ethics. Placing boundaries of that nature on any model design sounds more like censorship than anything else. As you stated, look at all of the Titanic models as well as the HMS Britannic plus many other ships that sank with great loss of life. The same could be said for models of any aircraft flown by an ace or bomber crew.
i have no issue with people who are sensative on certain subjects ,that is their opinion and rights.this subject has only come to light again and reminded me of the flack i got from some people for asking for a specific model relevant to a disaster,also no one is forcing anyone to buy or download ''Sensative'' models
Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I would think at the end of the day the "moral" standpoint would be that of the designer themselves - for whatever reason they are entitled to decline to make a model.

In the same way an individual has the right to design what they want. Designs are a form of artistic expression and this is no different from other artistic expression - written works, paintings, drawings etc.

And as an extension of this, you may build what you want....!

Last edited by Kevin WS; 05-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
I feel if we went with the loss of life stand point we all would be making models of flowers. look at what is out there, Titanic (As mentioned), Bismark, Arizona, Aircraft with paint schemes of flights that ended sadly. as someone said make them as a tribute to the people who were lost not because of the people who were lost
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.65 GB
I feel that most times the models are viewed more as a point of visual reference in understanding the people or events that the model was a part of. If old newspapers, passenger photos, models, or dioramas of the Titanic disaster were never displayed then how would anyone be able to appreciate the scope of the event once those who experienced it had passed on? We could all read the same account in a history book but our mental perceptions of the event would probably vary largely from person to person without a common reference point.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
This is one of the dumbest arguments regarding morality of modeling! If that was to be followed then not a single train, boat, plane, car, zepplin, etc... will be built. Same for politics or who used what weapon. How about me building German planes with Nazi emblems on the tail?

This are objects. There is no morality to machines. It all depends on who uses it and for what purpose.

Let's build models!

Isaac
Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
This is one of the dumbest arguments regarding morality of modeling! If that was to be followed then not a single train, boat, plane, car, zepplin, etc... will be built. Same for politics or who used what weapon. How about me building German planes with Nazi emblems on the tail?

This are objects. There is no morality to machines. It all depends on who uses it and for what purpose.

Let's build models!

Isaac
this is NOT an arguement .as i said at start there are no right of wrong answers.was just asking for views on subject.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Was it the designer that said it wasn't a good idea? Or was it someone else chiming in?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Was it the designer that said it wasn't a good idea? Or was it someone else chiming in?
it was the designer when i gave it as an answer to his request for sugestions so his opinion maters as to what he designs.i was only questioning his logic behind behind that opinion
Google Adsense