PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John - great ideas and an excellent methodology!

Windows users take note!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I just thought of another small point ... If you do use "Shut Up !0", keep it handy on file somewhere. Mine lives in a "Tools" folder on my desktop, but a USB key would probably be better. I've noticed that MS are getting wise to it and several recent updates have reset the switches again. So I've learned to run it after every update now.

I may sing my praises for Win10, and am willing to run all the way with it now, but to actually trust MS ... never!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Haven't tried upgrading an old machine to Win10, but this new OS came with two new machines, and it seemed chock full of irritations -- mainly so-called features that I'll never use. One impression is that the MS "experts" think of themselves as the leaders of avant-garde people who casually shift from tablets to smart phones to integrated car computers. But this means that they've lost sight of the fact that their business is serving the customers.
Don't get me wrong -- I don't object to new technology that provides obvious benefits. But Win10s benefits are not obvious at all -- like what is a Cortana? After several months, I seem to get by OK with Win10. But I wish so much that MS would offer an alternative OS called WinFuddyDuddy.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Have to agree with Yale. I get it to work except still have the problem were I have to do a work around to download photos from my camera. Guess Nikon and MS still refuse to really talk to each other. But yes a lot of just crap to me and the latest download added a couple of more. The WinFuddyDuddy idea does sound ok, but maybe something more like WinWork for Production.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Eternal Member

Whulsey - you should have no problems at all downloading from your Nikon.

What is happening and how are you downloading the pics? Program? Connection etc?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I use the camera USB cord from camera to tower port. In W7, when I turned the camera on Autoplay window popped up. I would click on it and it would download the photos I'd shot to my Pictures directory to a file under the current date, then ask me if I wanted them deleted from camera disc. Then I'd turn camera off and unplug.

Now I have to go to the Windows icon, open it up, scroll to Photos. From there I have to tell it I want to download some photos, then from which device I want to. At that point this whole Photo thing opens and populates with the current photos I want to download and a bunch of others on the SD (I don't delete them, keep the disc when full with a record of dates that it covers). I then have to go through and manually select which ones I actually want to download. Then tell it to do it and at least it puts it in a file for current date, usually in the Pictures Library main directory. Then somewhat reverse process to shut camera down and unplug it.

Have not had any luck getting Autoplay to work. Then when I had 2 cameras, I had to go into the Photos directory every time and reenter which device I wanted the photos downloaded from. At least with my old camera finally dying don't have to deal with that.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks. I'll send you a PM on this over the weekend....
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Troubles in Redmond

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...nths-ever.html

I just installed the latest updates for Win7 and the GUI has changed a lot, the tool bars look different and the theme has changed and theme options have disappeared.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
I thought for a bit, then kicked myself and did a system restore, and my Win7 PC is almost to the way it was before I installed the updates that grunged up my PC. Now of course I am getting messages, which I intend to ignore, telling me that I need to install updates.

No thanks.

What worries me now, is how my Win10 PC, which I have not turned on for awhile, is going to behave after being force fed MS compulsory win10 updates. I really wish I had a nearby friend who could teach me how to use Linux and WINE.
(BTW, the Windows7 update affected the appearance of Firefox on my computer, and blanked out some of the control buttons on this website.)
Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
It'll be fine until you turn it on. So don't turn it on.
Google Adsense