PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Question Ecards alternative here on forum

Just thinking out loud but is there not some way we could set up a "mini" ecards here on the forum. Some way of payment and maybe even have the forum get some financial assistance?

I would really like to get kits like Brent's latest Buffs and his P-51 series but apparently there is no way until ecards is back.

Any one else have any bright ideas?
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2018, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I was thinking the same. Perhaps we could just use PayPal directly to Chris.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
I don't understand why it has taken so long to relaunch Ecard models. Usually, web pages problems are very quickly resolved. Perhaps there is another issue that is holding Mr. Gutzmer from relaunching his site. I am sure we all here would like to help him in any way possible.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
In a simple answer.

Technology.

Rome Can be built in a day, but only if you have practical experience with whatever platform you intend to implement.

Technology changes so rapidly that it is no longer a simple process of just re-building a website utilizing a new platform when you have very little experience with a new and complex interface. What was cutting edge and top of the line a year or two ago may no longer even be supported by the web hosting provider or be so outdated that it is no longer practical to use. Each web host has an internal web builder and a number of building tools that require practical knowledge to use and experimentation with in order to implement. Failure to do so, speaking from experience, often results in Rome burning to the ground.

vBulletin to my knowledge, allows for the implementation of PayPal donation buttons like phpBB, but I have not seen a comprehensive plug-in that allows one to make purchases like has been suggested. Even if it did, with the notorious ability for devious minds to attack such discussion platform software, I would not want my PayPal account data rolling around on such a forum...
Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I have a BS in Computer Science from 1980 and 35+ years experience with computers & the internet so I know all about what you are saying. I am retired now and am no longer current with the latest & greatest.

This is called brainstorming. The guy that does ecards is busy with all the other things in his life and I, of all people, understand that.

Perhaps people like Brent could just offer these things via email with payment, etc. worked out between him and his customers. Perhaps when he has that working he could share it with the group.

I understand that everyone needs their "cut". Right now no one is getting anything. We can't get the kits we desire. The designer can't get their cut. The repainters can't get their cut.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
The last I heard before the Ecards creator went on vacation was that he had become well versed in the utilization of the new platform he intends to use for the re-build. Once he has the ability to devote time to implement it, I do not believe that it will take very long for the site to go live again.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I don't think any of you are comprehending the amount of data, and behind the scenes work that goes on
with handling 4000 kits, 200 designers, 8 employees, a website, an online store and all the related customer and designer interactions.
Not to mention the Checkout and payment systems.

And lets not forget the efforts to make sure everyone's data, personal information, and financial information is kept safe and secure.
Not only during transactions, but all the time!

I only have a couple of hundred kits of my own...and a webstore already in place.
I only have to deal with a handful of customers each month.
So for me, taking individual purchases, sending out personalized invoices and letting paypal handle the payments is a no-brainer.
Its not too bad, as long as multiple orders don't come in all at once! lol

I'm not sure how you think you can set up a "temporary store"
or how we are supposed to man it, control it, and secure it behind the scenes for you?

Why not just put the effort into building/creating ecardmodels how its supposed to be?

Chris is not just repairing the broken store...he is building a new store, from scratch.
That in itself is a big enough project,
but when you consider we also have to repair and incorporate the old broken store (into the new site)...
well...
2 months isn't that unreasonable a time length (so far).

If it takes another year to make sure the new site works properly
and is secure and safe for everyone involved,
then thats what it takes.

Hopefully within weeks we will be up and running again.
But why rush it?

Last edited by airdave; 08-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I would really like to get kits like Brent's latest Buffs and his P-51 series but apparently there is no way until ecards is back.
Sorry...I am not sure who "Brent" is.
Maybe I should know, but the name is not ringing any bells at the moment.

Many designers (who sell at ecardmodels) also have their own websites and/or online stores.
Maybe [Brent] should set one up if he wants to sell stuff.
Or maybe [Brent] doesn't care about it right now.
Maybe he prefers to wait for ecards to return.

Anyone like [Brent] can still take orders and sell kits privately.
Like I do.
But there is work involved...and many designers aren't interested in dealing with customers, payments and model deliveries.

Maybe [Brent] should respond?

If we agreed to sell kits outside of the ecard store and system, we would be inundated with orders
each requiring a ton of work to deal with.

Patience paper-grassoppers.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I don't think any of you are comprehending the amount of data, and behind the scenes work that goes on
with handling 4000 kits, 200 designers, 8 employees, a website, an online store and all the related customer and designer interactions.
Not to mention the Checkout and payment systems.

And lets not forget the efforts to make sure everyone's data, personal information, and financial information is kept safe and secure.
Not only during transactions, but all the time!

I only have a couple of hundred kits of my own...and a webstore already in place.
I only have to deal with a handful of customers each month.
So for me, taking individual purchases, sending out personalized invoices and letting paypal handle the payments is a no-brainer.
Its not too bad, as long as multiple orders don't come in all at once! lol

I'm not sure how you think you can set up a "temporary store"
or how we are supposed to man it, control it, and secure it behind the scenes for you?

Why not just put the effort into building/creating ecardmodels how its supposed to be?

Chris is not just repairing the broken store...he is building a new store, from scratch.
That in itself is a big enough project,
but when you consider we also have to repair and incorporate the old broken store (into the new site)...
well...
2 months isn't that unreasonable a time length (so far).

If it takes another year to make sure the new site works properly
and is secure and safe for everyone involved,
then thats what it takes.

Hopefully within weeks we will be up and running again.
But why rush it?
personally i would not like to see ths forum getting involved in model sales .i for one am happy to wait for ecards or deal direct with designers
Old 08-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Maybe we turn the rebuild over to Chuck Norris?

Until then, I have several gigabytes of models to work on. You can not rush perfection.
Google Adsense
Closed Thread