PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-13-2018, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Doug, it wouldn't let me restore; said it couldn't access it. I think with my older computer and all the new bells and whistles (which for the most) I don't use at all, the systems is just not handling it well.

Kevin, I really didn't have too many programs on since I don't use much and don't have any of the social media carp.
Lots of birds and butterflies. Also ants, wasps, bees, hornets and not insects; but scorpions, spiders, tarantulas, etc. Nearly everything in Arizona is sharp, or bites, or stings, or all of the above. For planting, a small grass lawn area for me and the cats and a vegetable garden. Have thought about some kind of birdbath, fountain, etc.; but has to be self-contained since water is scare and expensive even if not to South Africa lows yet.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That sucks that it would not access the backup. I backup everyday and have been able to bring my W7 system back to where it was before some catastrophic failures occured, like the hard drive going TU.

Have you ever taken a blacklight out at night to see those scorpions glowing? I have seen that phenomenom on some nature shows and think it would be neat to see. But then again if it reveals a whole bunch of them critters scurrying around it would make for some long nights.

Way back in the early 1960's I visited some relatives in Medicine Park, Oklahoma. The bed legs were all in some cans. I asked why and was told they were like that so the scorpions would not crawl into bed with you. Good night, sleep tight.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Doug - I use a "blacklight" (UV) to find scorpions - it is great fun.

I do not know if this applies to American scorpions but in Africa the larger the scorpion, the more harmless it is in terms of its sting effect. The opposite applies as well - we have some very tiny tiny scorpions and they are really bad if you get zapped.

Here's one the other day - clearly it has a new friend! Was let go to wander off back where it came from......
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-scorpion.jpg  
Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.06 GB
Whulsey

That's interesting Win10 decided to do an unexpected update on me a week ago too and left the PC unusable. Couldn't log on or anything. Like yourself I had to resort to reloading the O/S and repartition the drive. An hour for the reload and 3 hours for subsequent updates. All in all a day wasted.

Best regards

Doug
Old 09-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wayne -

I feel bad for you about all the update tsimmis. I try to keep all my files backed up every couple of days and am resigned to losing the programs one of these days.

Reading about your new home environment makes me think that Carlisle PA is a really benign (if much less interesting and exciting) place to live. This old infantryman and East Asia hand is now content to live in this placid place and experience vicariously such interesting places as Arizona, South Africa, and other wonderlands through your posts and those of Kevin and others.

Very good wishes for getting settled in, getting the computer sorted, keeping the cats happy (do they have anything to fear from poisonous insects, snakes, predatory dogs, coyotes, and the like?), and making your garden grow.

Don

Re: Cats. We lost our beloved Tora-chan (last of a series of five Boose cats) last March, but every spring-through-fall have a pair of catbirds that cheer up the back garden.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-boose_01_house_carlisle_may_2018.jpg   A new to me house-boose_02_conodoguinet_creek_may_2018.jpg   A new to me house-boose_03_predatory_creatures_may_2018.jpg   A new to me house-boose_04_backyard_catbird_may_2018.jpg   A new to me house-tora-chan_2004-2018.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the comments on the computer. I didn't loose any data or very little. Just the hassle of reloading W10 which means you loose you programs and favorites.

Another wasted day from a house viewpoint. My little Purr Kat was limping really bad yesterday with her lf ft leg swollen. So had to take her to a vet after I finally deal with my lack of cell signals and located one that could see her today, a 45 minute drive. It was an abscess that the vet said looked like maybe a cat bite so think China Whitecat got a little carried away with harassing her. Got some antibiotics to give her for the next 2 weeks plus trying to keep a cone on her head so she won't lick the wound. So day gone and unexpected hit on the credit card.

Don, sorry to hear about Tora-chan. Before I start letting them outside plan on building a fenced area for them. I guess other then hot, the critters are the trade off for not having hurricanes, ice storms, tornados, earthquakes, etc.

SCEtoAux (Doug) I grew up on a farm outside Pauls Valley about 50 miles due east of Medicine Park. We used to go to the Mount Scott Festivals all the time. We didn't have as many, but you learned to shake you shoes before putting them on.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:36 AM

Update. Was wrong about the data. Just looked at the main folders and they looked like most there. Going into them found bunches of files (including all my unedited photos and reference photos saved off the net) were not there. Call back to Microsoft and eventually they figured out were to retrieve most, just have to do a lot of refiling to get things back in order. Luckily had all the edited photos uploaded to SmugMug. Still can't get cell service on the property, unless I walk halfway up the hill in the back. Changed carriers to one it seems nearly everybody has up here, just means I don't have to walk as far up the street(into the snake's territory) to get a signal.

Anyway getting more done outside, more in the house. China Whitecat is going crazy being locked up inside and has about torn the mini-blind off the rear door. Purr Kat is back to good health and I'm 500 dollars lighter. Ratsie Katsie is pretty much her usual quiet solitary self.

China checking the neighborhood. Getting books back up on shelves, starting to feel like home. One of the reasons I moved up here.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-0989xx.jpg   A new to me house-dsc_0985.jpg   A new to me house-dsc_0986.jpg   A new to me house-dsc_0988.jpg  
Old 09-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you have encountered while moving Wayne. Glad to hear that Purr Kat is okay again. That always helps. Still, with all the problems you've encountered and the work you've done (and had to have done), I can't help but feel a sense of peace everytime I look at the pics of your house and its surroundings. Hope you feel it too. Thanks for sharing your move with us.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I read an article online that the latest Win10 update has a 50% chance of turning most computers into paperweights, and that Microsoft's reply is a vague "Meh".

Your cesspit story reminds me of an experience growing up. We lived in one of the oldest houses in Phoenix (The old McDowell Ranch main house). One day, the plumbing started backing up, and then the ground sank and filled wih nasty unmentionable fluids. After fighting with the owner to get it repaired (took a couple weeks) we discovered that a previous owner had installed plumbing, and ran it out to the main sewer, bu never actually connected it to the sewer pipe. So for an unknown amount of time, the toilets had been flushing into the original septic tank, then overflowing that and going around the main sewer pipe (around, not in). Long story longer, the whole back yard and alley behind the house ended up getting dug up to replace the section of sewer, and actually connect the house to it.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks Elliot, almost have everything up here now. Started cleaning on the condo to get it ready for sale. Once that's done and not having to go back and forth once or twice a week will greatly improve the situation.

Murph, can go with your comments. So imagine the kinds of ignoring of codes up here in unincorporated areas in the hills. My realtor told me that a couple of business properties he handled over by the airport was still on septic tanks and had never hooked up to the city sewer city. Probably lets them dump stuff down them that the city wouldn't be happy about in the sewers.
Google Adsense