PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
The BFBS stations had me scratching my head. Knowing exactly where they broadcast from (I helped build and maintain some of them) I just couldn't find any of them by clicking on dots. Yet once Kevin had pointed out the search facility I found several listed and was able to select them OK. Surprised to find Gibraltar and Germany no longer seem to be active. Have the Brit Forces moved out of them completely?

However, if I move away from the dot, then come back to it, the BFBS transmitters are not listed. I have to go through the search facility every time in order to tune into them. I wonder if this is because they are mostly low power short range transmissions?

I do remember living in Roermond, just across the border from RAF Bruggen ... well within range, but denied the BFBS radio and TV broadcasts because the transmission antennae were all aimed into Germany, not into Holland, where 70% of the Bruggen staff lived.

As Dave says though, it's great fun listening in to what the world's remotest places are broadcasting, and surprising how much of it is familiar to our ears.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John - Germany and Gibraltar do still exist and operate. Garden Radio only has stations they are "notified" about. You can submit stations for inclusion... see here https://submit.radio.garden/

BFBS Stations that I know of that still exist and operate - BFBS Cyprus, BFBS UK, BFBS Radio 2, BFBS Falkland Islands, BFBS Scotland, BFBS Gibraltar, BFBS Afghanistan, BFBS Salisbury, BFBS Brunei, BFBS Colchester, BFBS Brize Norton, BFBS Catterick, BFBS Aldershot, BFBS Beats, BFBS Rewind, BFBS Unwind, BFBS Blanford, BFBS Dirt, BFBS Shamishran, BFBS Canada, BFBS Germany, BFBS Aldergrove BFBS Blandford, BFBS Bovington, BFBS Bulford, BFBS Catterick, BFBS Edinburgh, BFBS Fort George, BFBS Holywood, BFBS Inverness, BFBS Lisburn, BFBS Portsmouth, BFBS Northern Ireland and BFBS Gurka Radio.

You can pick them up on Podcast Republic which whee the above list comes from.

And BFBS TV (if you are interested) is on BFBS TV, Virgin 277, Sky 181, Freeview 96 and Freesat 165.

---------------------

Wayne - Your house has now (virtually) become the world centre for global radio!

For some interesting Reggae try Georgetown, St Helena - they have lots of local female reggae singers sometimes!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
As long as its interesting! Was going through some African stations and it was bad American elevator pop. Think next radio trip will head to Indonesia for some gamelan.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-killuglyradio.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Do you see many horned lizards (or horny toads as we used to call them in Lawton/Fort Sill, Oklahoma in the early 1960's) around your house? I would scare the cwrap out of my mother with all of the variety of reptiles I brought home.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Haven't seen any yet. We used to see some were I grew up in Oklahoma.
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Hey Doug, finally saw a horned lizard about a month ago. Of course didn't have my camera with me.
Had a scorpion jump at me when I opened the mailbox this morning to put a bill in. Had a couple of medium sizes one in the house and 2 or 3 baby ones this summer, but still haven't seen that many.
Was up the street at dark using the phone a few days ago and instead of a rattlesnake had a good size desert tarantula scurry out and run around looking for a girlfriend. But they don't mess with you unless you do something stupid.
Got a couple of ant stings over the last few weeks. One was a fire ant on the foot that sort of felt like when you have piece of hot welding slag fall in your shoe. But went away quick.
Haven't done anything major to the house, but still sorting and shelving stuff in the garage so I can get a paint area set up. Just this has been a really hot summer. Hottest recorded June in Phoenix area, haven't heard about July. At least we're usually 5-10 degrees cooler in day and 10-15 at night and without the ozone and air pollution.
Still think I'm going to have one of the split system heat/ac systems installed later in the year when the ac companies are a bit hungry for business.
Do have a few bird and animals photos I need to get done for those threads. And have learned about a couple of other industrial short lines tied in with the mines in this area that when it cools down a bit will need to get a few shots of.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Doug - look forward to seeing the industrial short line stuff!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Did a couple of quick photos. These are Common Sotol (Dasylirion wheeleri) related to yucca (century plant).The first is on the sw of the house up my backyard hill. The other is across the street on the hill on the east side.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-2019-06-14-20sotol-20-28dasylirion-20wheeleri-29-20sw-xl.jpg   A new to me house-2019-06-13-20sotol-20-28dasylirion-20wheeleri-29-20east-l.jpg  
Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good images! It's nice to see what your scenery looks like, Wayne.

Don
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those are some strange looking plants. Nice pics. I remember seeing some of them when I was traveling in Arizona a few decades ago.
So them horny toads finally showed up.
Memories of my yoot. (Thank you, Vinny)
Google Adsense