PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
In temperate south-central Pennsylvania, the Yukka filamentosa is common as a decorative plant. A lot of folks in this area call it the Spanish Bayonet, although that term may only apply accurately to the southwestern varieties.

The last time I saw one blooming I didn't have a camera with me, but made a sketch in my field note book.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-boose_field_notes_190702.jpg  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Don, nice sketch of the flowers.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Can't compare to your colored pencil art, but gives me a way to get the sense of what I'm seeing and usually permits me to identify the plant or the critter later.

Don
Old 08-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Don, Wayne - interesting info on the Yucca. Thank you!

After my father left the army in the '50s, he then worked in the sisal industry for the rest of his life.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:41 PM

Wow, a while since I've been in this thread. Was looking for the link to the world radio site, had forgot it was in this one. Here it is in case someone else wants it.

Radio Garden – Explore live radio by rotating the globe

For house updates, got most of the shelving up in the work room/garage and somewhat organized. Even got a paint area set up so was able to get my airbrush out and working. First time I've ever had a dedicated paint area.
In the house itself, got the computer/model room rewired onto it own circuit. Let me add some more and better lighting in there and isolated the computer without have to worry about tripping breakers. Still thinking about the central heat/ac system. Had got a couple of bids, then the Covid hit and the place I was going to use closed down. Got a portable ac for the computer room so combined with the evaporative cooler it keeps things comfortable.
So with things pretty much locked down, just been doing a lot of reading and working on models. Also getting caught up on a lot of photos since just as the show season was getting started it got shut down so will post some of the shows, etc. soon.
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2021, 02:17 PM

Finally got the ac system in last Friday. Its a multiple split heat pump system with heads in the bedroom, computer/model room and living room. Seems to be working good on the cooling and will see how it does for the heat this winter.

Fortunately the major wildfire we had got stopped about 3 hills south of me. Was under possible evac orders for about 5 days. 6 largest fire in Arizona history. They had finally got it pretty much under control a couple of days ago, then had a good rain last night which should pretty much wrap it up.

Back to the NASCAR Cup race. Good Indy car race earlier. IMSA on Friday and Saturday. Been a good weekend of racing.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Speaking of rain, I went back to beginning of thread and was thinking this is a place which gets a lot less rain than here in central Missouri, then learned where the house is.

Mining company owns everything more than 3ft down? Interesting.

Am thankful the wildfire stopped.

And say hey to the cats for us.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:56 PM

I grew up in central Oklahoma so I can say you get a LOT more rain in Missouri then here in Arizona.
The mining companies pretty much rule the roost here since they're the primary tax and revenue source in the area. Miami was basically a company town.
Will pass your greetings on to the cats.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Great to have an update on the house.

And all your alterations and modelling/computer room stories are making me jealous!

Lest see some pics sometime!
Old 07-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Figured I'd better do the photos while its on my mind. The first six are the computer/modeling room. 1: northwest corner, had to cut the one shelf to mount the ac head so need to do some rearranging there, 2-3: the shelves, 4: looking out the door into dining room and kitchen with more shelves and boxes of models, 5: northeast corner, printer, drafting table under the debris, shelf of supplies and in progress models, shelves and drawers of paint, photoetch, tools and other materials. The last two are the living room. 1: south wall of books and magazines with a bit of the east wall. 2: nw wall with more books and magazines, the bookshelf on left side is all Ford books, and can't forget the cat's play castle. That was the 10 cent quickie tour.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-2021-07-05-200521-x2.jpg   A new to me house-2021-07-05-200519-x3.jpg   A new to me house-2021-07-05-200520-x3.jpg   A new to me house-2021-07-05-200522-x2.jpg   A new to me house-2021-07-05-200523-x2.jpg  

A new to me house-2021-07-05-200524-x2.jpg   A new to me house-2021-07-05-200526-x2.jpg   A new to me house-2021-07-05-200529-x2.jpg  
Google Adsense