PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-09-2018, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
A new to me house

I posted some photos of the house I bought last spring in the Cats thread showing what I hoped to build for them there. Kevin WS asked to see more and since I was going to post about it here goes. Almost thought about putting it in the Other Things We Do section since this is about all I've been doing for the last 5 months. Almost no modeling and why I haven't been here much. 1st shoot is looking down driveway to garage-laundry-workshop. 2nd looking down street to north. The stacks are the Freeport-McMoRan copper smelter on the hill on the north side of Hwy 60. My street deadends into 60 across from the entrance to it. 3rd looking south to the last 3 houses on the street. See the cactus patch on the left side. A few nights ago when I was there walked out to make a call (my cell doesn't work in the house). Was pacing around when I heard a buzzing and immediately started looking around. Luckily I was already moving away for it since it was the biggest rattlesnake I ever seen out in the wild. Probably 5 inches around and at least 4 ft long. I preceded to move on and let him have the patch. My neighbor to the south said last year she saw 3 in her back yard that had come down off the hill side. The 4th shot is from the hill side looking east, but still in the 'civilized' part. Will wait for cold weather to explore that area on up.

The 1st thing was there was no shut off valve for the water from the street meter, common on old houses here. So digging up to have one put in discovered that it was the old black iron pipe that had just about rusted apart. Already knew there was one leak under the house, so decided to bite the bullet and have it replumbed up to the under sink level with copper. To save some money I did all the digging and filling. That's when I discovered an old open top cesspit that had been covered over and disconnected, so decided to fill it as part of the project. The place had been a rental for several years so imagine somewhere along the line, the state nailed the owner since these are illegal now.

More later so I'm not boring everybody to sleep with this 'adventure in renovation'.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-2018-04-05-619.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-05-618.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-05-617.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-05-624.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-13-845.jpg  

A new to me house-2018-04-13-846.jpg   A new to me house-2018-06-27-975.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I have seen many houses with similar layout in Ontario.Not very good buy up here but likely much better deal down in Arizona.

Good luck in new place.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thank you. Interesting - enjoyed these, as l like seeing what houses look like slse where.

Looks like a nice compact place.

Enjoy the renovation. Have been this route but it soon wore me out, and that was a few years back.

The upside is that once you fix something yourself you know it is fixed and fixed PROPERLY! This actually is going to save you a ton of money going forward.

Wish I could visit, so we could stand around and discuss cement mixes, holes and wiring fixes!

Keep the pics coming when you are ready....
Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM

Butelczynski, wondering what you mean by the layout? That the garage-workshop is detached? I could see with cold, snow and ice that could be a problem, just curious.

Kevin, the house is almost too compact to what I's used to. At 910 sq. ft. think its actually a bit smaller then my condo. Plus the condo had 12 foot ceilings and this in only around 9-10 with the 2 back rooms (that I think might be an addition to the original) are barely 8 foot. Using my long shelving unit as a divider in the bedroom and was used to sticking stuff on top of it. Did that a week or so ago without thinking and stuck my hand into the ceiling fan. That got my attention.

The house was build in 1915. Location if someone wants to Google Earth is on the border of Miami and Claypool - Calle de Loma is the street. Mailing address is Miami, but the location is actually in Claypool which is an census designated area of Gila County between Miami and Globe.

And it is wearing me out but you're right that by either doing it myself or dealing directly with a contractor it is done properly. As I tell people now the plumbing in the house will outlive my plumbing. Also since there were things I wanted fixed on the final inspection, a deal was worked out were the seller knocked enough off the final price that paid over half of what I've spend on fixing things. And I know what was done. Also I'd set aside a reserve for some work. But as I'm say everything costs twice and takes three times as long as you figured.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Your house stared out much smaller.If I'm seeing correctly there is one big addition up front and 2 smaller ones out back (those are older than front addition).Detached garage is a common feature with older houses everywhere since they often housed horses or stable was next to it.Most often those houses here have no basement and one,maybe 2 cold rooms somewhere accessible from somewhere near kitchen.I love lead piping in those houses.It comes handy for another hobby of mine.
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks like an interesting place. Snake already. Any bighorn sheep or mountain lions around?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Pulled this from Google Earth and added captions. Hope it works. Seems too.

Here's a photo from the back door of the house. The concrete block structure on the left was a store room, but the roof is gone now. Not sure if I want to reroof it yet or not. That's long term.

Don't think this was a stable. Probably never many horses around here. The mines and smelter were primary jobs and even now a good portion of the people walk to work. No basements, they're rare in AZ. Here the mining company owns everything 3 foot below the surface from what I've been told. This area was basically a company town. That's why I think that the attachment the garage was probably a studio apartment rented out to single miners. The last 2 photos are the back of the attached room and the garage. Love all the build in shelves. The side ones are all metal probably 'requisitioned' from the mines or smelter since they look like what you would see in an industrial tool room. Too bad I don't really do any mechanic or restoration project work anymore. Would have about killed for something like this 40 years ago.

Back to packing and cleaning. And getting in the mindset of getting the cats in their cages in the morning: leather gloves, Levi jacket and fresh box of Band-aids.

Doug, no bighorn in the immediate area that I'm aware of. Heard there was an occasional mountain lion signing.
Attached Thumbnails
A new to me house-miami-ovh.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-05-621.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-05-628.jpg   A new to me house-2018-04-05-626.jpg  

Last edited by whulsey; 09-09-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: additional answer
Old 09-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I have seen many houses with similar layout in Ontario.Not very good buy up here but likely much better deal down in Arizona.

Good luck in new place.
He's right!
$1million in Toronto for that House!
Maybe $200k around where I live (Cambridge, one hour west of Toronto)

Good luck with the new place Whulsey.
I think its a marvelous looking project.
Should be fun.
And snakes too! woohoo!

I have Mice...we should swap.

This is a very cool idea...sharing your new home.
I agree with kevin, its very interesting to see how the other half lives.
Or in this case, how the other papermodelers live!

hmmmm maybe we should start a "this is where I live" thread? for those who wish to share.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
What was the mtn. lion signing? 😜

Looks like a unique property, Whulsey; all the best making it all yours!

Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Pulled this from Google Earth and added captions. Hope it works. Seems too.

Here's a photo from the back door of the house. The concrete block structure on the left was a store room, but the roof is gone now. Not sure if I want to reroof it yet or not. That's long term.

Don't think this was a stable. Probably never many horses around here. The mines and smelter were primary jobs and even now a good portion of the people walk to work. No basements, they're rare in AZ. Here the mining company owns everything 3 foot below the surface from what I've been told. This area was basically a company town. That's why I think that the attachment the garage was probably a studio apartment rented out to single miners. The last 2 photos are the back of the attached room and the garage. Love all the build in shelves. The side ones are all metal probably 'requisitioned' from the mines or smelter since they look like what you would see in an industrial tool room. Too bad I don't really do any mechanic or restoration project work anymore. Would have about killed for something like this 40 years ago.

Back to packing and cleaning. And getting in the mindset of getting the cats in their cages in the morning: leather gloves, Levi jacket and fresh box of Band-aids.

Doug, no bighorn in the immediate area that I'm aware of. Heard there was an occasional mountain lion signing.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM

How about "sighting" instead of signing? As far as I know he/she didn't do an autograph session just glimpsed heading over a ridge. Don't think they're very common in this area since there's not many prey animals for them.

Airdave, that's why I got it. Decided after my adventure in California a couple of years ago, no way could I begin to afford anything in a reasonably decent area there. Paid 46K for it and by the time I get through with the upgrades and some new appliances will have spend about another 10K. If I decide to put a/c in to replace the evaporative cooler that'll probably be 4-6K, but now that its starting to get into the fall won't need to decide on that until April-May of next year.
Google Adsense