PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
New Spitfire Movie

There is a new documentary movie on the Spitfire that has just been released.

It is a 2018 release and is called quite simply "Spitfire" - by Atitude.

I have just got it on BluRay and watched it twice in one go - it has some aching beautiful colour photography interspersed with memories from the pilots who flew it, original WW2 films, interesting reminiscences etc.

I really cannot recommend it enough - it really is one of the best aircraft films (and indeed films period) I have seen.............

Also a work of art in its own right.

Here are two different trailers to give you a taste of it..... Play them full screen, play i\them loud, and then go get a copy......

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5913184...f_=vi_prev_btn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxgEi8gEsE
Old 10-05-2018, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.

It looks like a terrific film.

Don
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I've seen this film and you have to see it on largest screen you can get your hands on.In-air shots are great,I just wish they showed a bit more of a Hurricane fighting side by side with Spitfires.Imho film is worth seeing just for fantastic filming of real planes in the air.

For some reason there is very little mention of post-ww2 Spitfires in combat and in general Griffon powered Spits get "oh,by the way" treatment.It feels like an afterthought.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Theres only so much you can put into each film.
And its less a technical history of the Spitfire, and more of a love story for the plane that won the war (so to speak).
I liked it.

I wish they'd do something like this for the Hurricane!

Spitfire was filmed a few years back, there are a few scenes involving the same three Spits that were in the movie Dunkirk.
In fact, there are a few scenes that I swear were filmed at the same time, if not the same footage.
I looked real hard for the camera mounted on the right side of the cockpit (on one of the Spits).

Plus, Mary Ellis and Geoffrey Wellum are both deceased now.

This would make a great double feature with The First of the Few.
While not entirely biographically accurate, its still a good film about Mitchell and the beginnings of the Spit.

Anyone heard anything more about the new The Battle of Britain?
I heard that Christopher Nolan was working on it.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks for the tip!

I have watched the film just now, and I must say it was a great watch. Indeed, like others already said, it is a kind of homage, a declaration of love to the Spitfire, and not at all a film about the technical aspects of the plane. I personally think I would have liked a little more of that in the film but I guess that is something that doesn't appeal to the general public that much...

I only wish they let the pilots talk more about how it was to fly. A bit more of a philosophical view on the plane. I also would have liked more stories told by the women involved. But it was a great watch and the photography was truly amazing.

I don't know why, but I always get a lump in my throat when I hear that Merlin engine roar and see that plane cut through the skies. I never can get enough of that sound and I just love the shape of the plane. Whether it is due to the creation of this legend around it, or something else, I don't know, but the Spitfire is quite something.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
There have been many films over the last decade about Pilots, Spits and the ATA Pilots.
I think thats another reason why "Spitfire" isn't too much of a documentary.

I suggest BBC's Spitfire Women, a fantastic special!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKLL0TklxU
Not sure if you can watch it online...I can't seem to find the full show anywhere.

But, theres also this one: Spitfire Sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-xjUqiqVq0
Old 10-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Sounds like a must watch, I've always been a fan of the Spitfire. It's funny, looking back to when I built plastic models as a kid, growing up, I built kits that looked cool, not sure what else inspired me at the time but looking back now, they were all iconic aircraft... Lancaster bomber, SR-71 blackbird, 747, Spitfire... Oh, and Blue Thunder... are a few I can remember well. The Spitfire was my first large scale kit and I'm pretty sure I botched the build but it still took pride of place, hanging from my ceiling, I loved that plane.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 10-07-2018, 06:58 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That sounds like me Jaffro.

I had no choice in what I made - where we lived there were no models. So my dad used to choose something when he was away and bring it back. When he got off the plane he would hold up for me to see (very exciting at the time) as customs etc always took ages.

I always enjoyed the models (Airfix) and as I guess he chose the ones he liked, we both had fun.