PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Don - 5,000 pics (me and Linda) later! A few photos of trains, but all my trainspotting/photographing plans for trains never materialized! Pity as I was in a couple of high traffic spots! Next time maybe.

Vermin King - wish I had known. We went through Stratford-Upon-Avon and I would willingly have taken the pictures for you.
Well, no help for it now. How much of the Bard's hometown did you see?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John, Wales is the only place we have not done. Hopefully, one day - trains for me are the draw card, as well as more history!

---------------

Stayed in Port Ellen - the distillery there, however, was shut down in 1983, with the still and many of the buildings being destroyed at the time - why no one seems to understand. Diageo who was responsible for this, have now said they will reopen the distillery in 2020 and they are busy now trying to rebuild everything as it was and recreate the stills! When we were there, key staff for the distillery had just been appointed from within the Diageo Group.

The distillery has a very big malting - this has remained functional (as part of a closure agreement) as it also supplies all the malt to all the other distilleries on Islay and Jura. It is a very distinctive (and ugly) building and is the most visible feature in Port Ellen.

--------------

Vermin King - on this trip we saw little of the town. Straight through. On a previous trip, we had a good walkabout. I remember taking a couple of Shakespeare's house - but not around the back. I will hunt out the photos for you.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Ohhhh ... too late to wish you a great holiday! Scotland is on the top of my next holiday destinations. Have only been to the South of UK yet.

I have been too busy with my own work and am now looking forward to a couple of quite days during the x-mas holidays.

Looking forward if will post some nice and inspiring pics :-)

Chris
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
John, Wales is the only place we have not done. Hopefully, one day - trains for me are the draw card, as well as more history!
There used to be branch lines all over Wales, but Dr. Beeching shut most of them down. However, there were also many private narrow gauge lines that were put in to serve the coal and slate industries. Although industrial use has long abandoned them, most of them have been retained by heritage organizations who keep them running for enthusiast and tourist traffic. The Llangollen Railway Society has an ever extending section of full gauge track on which they regularly run their collection of antique steam locos and rolling stock.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Eternal Member

Yup John - that's exactly what I am after.

I bought a nice Mortons Magbook on the UK Narrow Gauge Heritage lines. Also being involved in Heritage Rail (mainly now on the safety side) there is the operation side to interest me as well!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:32 AM
Eternal Member

Vermin King - found the pics of Shakespeare's house from our trip over ten years ago. And guess what? I do have one of the back - one side only but probably good enough!

They are in raw (all my pics generally are) - I will convert them for you.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Glad you enjoyed your trip! Yeah, British curators are like that - when I went to Portsmouth to see the HMS Victory years ago our guide made it very clear no photography was allowed inside the ship. I was last out, and when she learned I'd come all the way down from Oxford she relented and took my pictures on my camera phone.

Quote:
Rich - it is a nice time, the more so since it not tourist season by any means, so most places are deserted!

Erik - the fort was Homesteads Roman Fort. In ruins as well. Very interesting - an amazing plumbing system. My wife was the one who wanted to see this and on arrival at the Heritage Centre before hiking to the fort, she disappeared for nearly 3 hours. It turned out the curator saw her taking a photo on the way in and nailed her (there was no one else visiting) and gave her a 3 hour history lesson on the site. She was in seventh heaven.

The return to SA is not my personal Brexit - I would rather be in the UK!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:58 AM
Eternal Member

lfuente - interesting. I wonder why no pictures? I have not been on the Victory (it was under renovation at the time) but there was certainly no issue with pictures on all the other ships we went on - Warrior etc....
Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Can not take pictures because it’s a classified military vessel. You might have been a French or American spy. Hate for England to loose it’s military edge.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Or it's more likely that they'd rather sell you some souvenir postcards as you leave.