PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Herky, JohnM, Mike, Gary, Tramfan and Whulsey - thank you all also for your good wishes.

Along with Don and Doug's they sure worked as this was our best holiday ever - I was sad it ended!

And John - after we left London we had sunshine, blues skies and mild temperatures EVERY DAY!

I wanted to bring back models, but had no details of any postal addresses I could use before I left. Then in the two weeks we were there I never knew in advance where we would be, as we played it by ear as we went along!

-------------------------

Hired a car in London - it was brand new. Gave it back to them with nearly 2,000 miles on the clock!

Picture 1 is a summary of our route from Google Maps......we traveled anti-clockwise.

Highlights:
  • Day 1, 2 & 3 - We started in London where I did some bits and pieces on the Friday. Saturday we went to the Grand Union Canal and St Albans. Sunday attended Remembrance Day in London. 100th Anniversary so tons more people this year.
  • Day 4 - Monday we headed north to York.
  • Day 5 - Next day to York Minister. Stunning. We then headed north again to Homestead.
  • Day 6 - We did Hadrian's wall and a Roman fort and then went to the Angel of the North near Sunderland/Newcastle (which I have always wanted to see and was well worth the detour). North again to Edinburgh
  • Day 7 - Spent the next day in Edinburgh and then decided to leave as it was not up to our expectations - not great at all despite all the hype. Real tourist trap as well.
  • Day 8 - On to Roslyn Chapel - very interesting and there I bought my only paper model - then Bannockburn Battle Site and Stirling Castle. Night at Inverness.
  • Day 9 - Onto Culloden Battle Site, and a drive through the Highlands and the Loch's to the West Coast, where we then caught the ferry for Islay arriving at midnight!
  • Day 10 & 11 - Islay where we explored the island (and whiskey distilleries) - lots of interesting history and ruins.
  • Day 12 - Islay, then ferry back to the mainland and off to Glasgow and Carlisle, sight seeing in the Highlands again on the way.
  • Day 13 - Carlisle to London the next day.
  • Day 14 - We flew back in the evening, but first went to the RAF Museum in the morning and then saw my Aunt (103 and still fit and fighting!) on the way to the airport!

2 weeks gone!
-----------------------------

Tremendous holiday and really loved every minute in Scotland (apart from Edinburgh). Next holiday we will return and do more of the islands.

Took over 5,000 photos between Linda and myself! Can post a few if anyone is interested....!!
Attached Thumbnails
Off on holiday!-tripmap.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Enjoy your trip. It’s a very nice time to be in the UK. I spent lots of time there years ago.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Kevin, sounds like a very well spent holiday in the UK. My sons visited Hadrian's Wall last year as part of a hiking trip organized by their school. They also saw a Roman fort, well, in fact only the remains of it. They were impressed by the empty landscape of Northumbria.

Can the return to South Africa be classified as your personal Brexit ??

Cheers,
Erik
Old 12-13-2018, 07:25 AM
Eternal Member

Rich - it is a nice time, the more so since it not tourist season by any means, so most places are deserted!

Erik - the fort was Homesteads Roman Fort. In ruins as well. Very interesting - an amazing plumbing system. My wife was the one who wanted to see this and on arrival at the Heritage Centre before hiking to the fort, she disappeared for nearly 3 hours. It turned out the curator saw her taking a photo on the way in and nailed her (there was no one else visiting) and gave her a 3 hour history lesson on the site. She was in seventh heaven.

The return to SA is not my personal Brexit - I would rather be in the UK!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks like a nice tour of the UK. That trip to Islay and the distilleries must have been fun.

Many years ago I participated in a promotion from Laphroaig and obtained 1 square foot of property near the distillery.
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for this great report on your travels, Kevin. Lil and I made a similar trip in the late 1970s, although we did not get as deep into the Highlands as you did (we spent a week in the Great Glen, Killicrankie, and Glencoe - most beautiful and evocative, but as far north as we got). It sounds as if you made the most of the historical and scenic aspects. I look forward to seeing your paper model of Roslyn Chapel (we spent a lot of time at its namesake, a busy commercial center in Northern Virginia overlooking the Potomac River). Hope you took lots of photographs, including trains).

Don
Old 12-13-2018, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Oh, I wish I'd seen this before you left.

I still want to do a model of Shakespeare's Birthplace to go with my Garrick Inn and Harvard House from Stratford-Upon-Avon, only I don't have good photos to work with for the wing at the back

Glad you had a good trip
Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Eternal Member

Don - 5,000 pics (me and Linda) later! A few photos of trains, but all my trainspotting/photographing plans for trains never materialized! Pity as I was in a couple of high traffic spots! Next time maybe.

Vermin King - wish I had known. We went through Stratford-Upon-Avon and I would willingly have taken the pictures for you.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Good to see you enjoyed the trip and you're safely back Kevin. I take it the big black clouds over this way didn't tempt you to whiz around Wales.

Mother Nature hasn't put her Xmas decorations on Snowdonia yet, but it's cold enough so we expect to wake up to snow caps any day now.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Did you visit the Port Ellen Distillery on Islay? Volker is currently giving a model of it away on his Advent calendar.