PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-16-2018, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
Can't recall if the no photography ban was for flash photography or deemed too disrespectful and/or distracting. The latter made it very likely you'd hit your head against something, at 5'4" even I thought it was cramped inside for such a massive ship - imagine people spending months to years inside! They replaced the original cannons with lightweight replicas to ease the strain on the hull that became more brittle as it dried out, still smelled of mud flats at low tide.

I believe it's still a commissioned RN ship, so frogs and colonials beware! And you'd still have to photoshop yourself onto any postcard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
lfuente - interesting. I wonder why no pictures? I have not been on the Victory (it was under renovation at the time) but there was certainly no issue with pictures on all the other ships we went on - Warrior etc....
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
As I mentioned earlier in this post, one of the places we went to was Rosslyn Chapel, where I bought the model of the Chapel as well.

This Chapel was of interest to me, not because of the Dan Brown guff, but because of its own intrinsic architectural design - one of my other interests are British Cathedrals and churches, and their architecture.

It was a great visit and it is still very much in my head, so I have decided to start making the model - in parallel with a build I have started of one of Johan's birds (Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft).

When I get bored with one, I will swop to the other! Which means I can cut out chapel pillars in between wings etc!

I will post some photos of the real chapel in the build thread, and will also post a link to the latter here when I start it.

Last edited by Kevin WS; 01-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
There used to be branch lines all over Wales, but Dr. Beeching shut most of them down. However, there were also many private narrow gauge lines that were put in to serve the coal and slate industries. Although industrial use has long abandoned them, most of them have been retained by heritage organizations who keep them running for enthusiast and tourist traffic. The Llangollen Railway Society has an ever extending section of full gauge track on which they regularly run their collection of antique steam locos and rolling stock.
and the thomas the tank engine museaum
Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfuente View Post
Can't recall if the no photography ban was for flash photography or deemed too disrespectful and/or distracting. The latter made it very likely you'd hit your head against something, at 5'4" even I thought it was cramped inside for such a massive ship - imagine people spending months to years inside! They replaced the original cannons with lightweight replicas to ease the strain on the hull that became more brittle as it dried out, still smelled of mud flats at low tide.

I believe it's still a commissioned RN ship, so frogs and colonials beware! And you'd still have to photoshop yourself onto any postcard.
yes she is still in comiision
Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
lfuente - interesting. I wonder why no pictures? I have not been on the Victory (it was under renovation at the time) but there was certainly no issue with pictures on all the other ships we went on - Warrior etc....
did you go to submarine museum at gosport
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 AM
Eternal Member

Herky - I did. A few years ago.

It was pouring when I was there but I had a great time when I was there. Did not go on the sub - I think it was closed for maintenance. The other ships were great, especially HMS Cavallier.

And there was a classic collection of military vehicles.

Despite that, I enjoyed the massive ropeworks and associated exhibits and got very excited over their weird locos - which the curator let me crawl around on.

There also was an excellent secondhand bookshop there with naval titles - worth a visit just for this. Enjoyed it very much.

And took tons of photos!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 AM

ilved abot 8 minutes walk from cavalier
Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Eternal Member

Herky - As I am sure you know there are so many good naval museums and sights in the UK - Chatham and Portsmouth are also great as well for visits

Here is a shot of HMS Cavalier I took at Chatham more recently - where she now lives. They have a fine museum there as well and also a huge ropeworks, more dockyard engines, some aircraft, vehicles etc. Well worth a visit.

---------------------

For those interested HMS Cavalier, was a "C" Class Destroyer, D73, commission in 1944. She had a long life, mainly in the Far East and was only decommissioned in 1974. Obviously, over that time, she underwent several refits.

It says a lot for the quality of the shipbuilding that she served actively for 30 years!

In 2011 they decided to fire her guns again for an event - they worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Off on holiday!-cavallier.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Eternal Member

Vermin King - well I managed to dig up the photos I took of Shakespeare's House!

And I do have one of one side at the back as well!

Picture 1 - Left front.

Picture 2 - Right front.

Picture 3 - I joined both the front pictures together for you.

Picture 4 - One side of the back (going anticlockwise from the front).

Hope these will help you!
Attached Thumbnails
Off on holiday!-sh1.jpg   Off on holiday!-crw_0961-1.jpg   Off on holiday!-shboth.jpg   Off on holiday!-sh11.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thank you so very much. That is the best view of the chimney that I have.
Google Adsense