PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Haven’t built any of the wonderful models but I’d certainly pony up, say $5-$10 a year for that wonderful site.
Maybe that would get me off my arse and build something to completion.

JoeG
Old 12-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
First
I think keeping access to viewing the text content of the site free, but having a subscription to download models and see some photos or to post on the site might be a workable solution to funding it. However ,that might make it hard to archive the entire site.

Selling ad space is a consideration, but you would have to make sure that if the advertisers pull out that they cannot take the site with them.

The model PDFs could be watermarked with Landships2 information so pirated models might bring in new members when they see where the pirated model came from.
Second
How much of the material on Landships 2 falls under copyright protection. WW1 photos and WW1 era publications should be in public domain.
Is there a year that is the cut off point for what is public domain and what still is under copyright protection?
It is inter war documentation that would come under copyright protection and might cause the site to be scrutinized by zealous regulators.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The contemporary images on Landships are all in the public domain now - even the interwar material. There are a fair number of images of surviving pieces of equipment that a notional copyright still exists on but either the original photographer has put them in the public domain, granted Landships permission to use or they are orphan works. In the 8 or so years of Landships current incarnation I haven't had any copyright issues. However, I doubt whether I could defend the use of more than half the modern material since much of it came from landships.freeservers - the originator of that website is believed deceased.

However, under EU Article 13, any suspected copyright material is not permitted to be uploaded or hosted within the EU and it is the hosting companies responsibility to filter incoming material for copyright content no matter how small a fraction of the whole work it is. Fair use exemptions are no longer applicable. It was also proposed to filter existing hosted content for copyright material (not sure if that got through to the final version).

Article 13 is not enforceable law yet but I haven't seen any commentary which says this will fail before implementation. I want Landships to be hosted away from euro-shitholistan before it does become law.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
So you're heading for a sort of "Charlexit".

I happily voted to confirm the decision for the UK to join the EEC - the European Economic Community - in 1967, since it was obviously the way forward. But it has since morphed into the political/beaurocratic behometh of the EU - European Union.
It seems that of people entitled to vote in both ballots ~ 60% voted yes in 1967 but only ~ 40% did so in Brexit. I do wonder how I would have voted had I still been stuck there.

There do seem to be hosting and finacial options available for Landships II.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I saw it expressed rather well recently. The EU had started out as a free trade zone and free travel zone then suffered massive scope creep. Having seen the consequences of scope creep a number of times in IT projects the future trajectory of the EU isn't to a good place.

I guess you could characterise my reaction as that of the Tokyo resident having seen the head of the big lizard over the buildings and figuring out that scuttling away was preferable to being stomped on.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Charlie,

I would be quite happy to chip in $10 to $15 per year to keep Landships II afloat - more if needed. I spend that much on a couple of bottles of Belgian Trappist ales.

I see that a number of us who are willing to help are, like you and me, in the 70+ age bracket, so we would need enough of the younger set to participate, in order to keep it viable as us old codgers pass.

Wayne
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 260.53 MB
Hi,

I live in the EU, and most of what is published about this law is simply garbage. For small websites nothing will change, it all refers to the giants like Youtube. Moreover, it is still only a declaration of intent, the individual countries must be able to implement the whole first.

I'm afraid that if everything rested on US servers that someday all but the US would have no access.

Just my two cents about it.....
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I am currently chatting with Charlie about this issue...
I've offered some basic webspace for the Landships website if needed.
I can even build a new site if necessary.

But wherever a site is hosted, it relies on someone paying the hosting bill.
(as Charlie already understands. But, even the ipfs alternative requires a website or menu hosted somewhere with direct file links.)

I must apologize and explain that I didn't know the Landships site very well...
only been there a couple of times over the years,
and I was confused that we were talking about the Landships Forum.
I thought we were talking about moving the Forum.

This is the Landships 2 site: Landships II

-----------------------------------
If I might be blunt...
since this is the first time I have really examined the site...

....the Landships site really doesn't offer anything other than:
1. a link to the landships Forum
2. a set of downloadable papermodels.
Many of those models are available elsewhere.
Most, if not all, could be shared on forums like mine and here at papermodelers.com.

There is no historical info or data worth saving (in my opinion).

The "wallpapers" are way too small, not wallpapers
...just small jpegs really...and might be copyrighted material?.

The "screen saver" is ...well...nobody uses screensavers anymore.

And thats it...
other than the credits for who has built and maintained the site, and the designers who have contributed models.

To be honest, theres nothing here (other than the set of great models) that anyone should be panicking over.
And we can easily save the models, as a group, on a number of other sites.

The big question is "where is the Landships Forum hosted?
I know its built on an activeboard platform...but thats just the forum software.
Is the Forum part of the current hosting?
If so, then we are talking about moving the Forum.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
One more follow-up...

I must be blind....I didn't see the list of "articles" and other info on the Home page.
Theres a ton of informative stuff here.
Please disregard my comments about there being nothing more than a set of downloadable models.
there is obviously a lot of other stuff here, worth saving.
I am sorry for my comments in that regard.

But I do have to say...this is a TON of copyrighted materials
and I can see why there is a concern over the the EU Copyright rules.
The articles are chock full of found internet images, many unauthorized copies from publications.

A good attempt has been made to credit all the unauthorized materials (photos, etc)
And I think your credits on each page do a good job.
Not sure it allows the use of copyrighted materials, but...

And when was the last time the info was updated?
I see on the Autocar Armoured Car page it states that there is no model of this vehicle available.
And yet, there is... for more than 7 years.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 260.53 MB
Most of this articles have been taken from the original Landship site, which is gone to Nirwana some years ago. No one knows, from where the original data has been comming....

Landships II has been created, to preserve all this rare articles and all the other stuff.