PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
File wipe software.

Who here can help me find a good Free File Wiping software?
I had a Cracked copy of BCWipe (given to me) that I recently had to delete due to its constantly trying to wipe Yahoo Instant Messanger.
It was hard enough getting IM to work again, I can't be re-installing it every few hours.

I need an Easy to use, Free file wiper so that I can properly empty the Recycle bin and clear temporary swap space on both of my Hard-Drives.

Thank You for your help.
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi,

I found this public license software that might be a help:

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

Terry

N and Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

I use CrapCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ I have used this program for at least 5 years. It is excellent. It is free!!. It as an auto update feature.

Last edited by Zathros; 09-01-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
I have CrapCleaner. It is Not the type of file wipe I want. I want one that I "Right-Click" on the Recycle-Bin & select Wipe Recycle-Bin from the Drop-down menu. CC does not do that. AS far as I remember, it is a Registry cleaner.

Eraser looks close to what I want.

Thanks anyway.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Eraser runs from any file with a rightmouse click, not just the recycle bin
CCleaner (as its now called) did something awful to my system, but for the life of me I cant remember, perhaps it removed ALL my password cookies..
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
After reading about ERASER in "Consumer Reports," I used it to nuke the hard drive on a computer that I was giving away. After cleaning the hard drive, I was then able to reinstall the operating system, Windows, and Office files so as to be able to pass on a working (if old and slow) computer.
I haven't used the program to selectively erase programs/files, but the instructions say that it can be so used.
Don B.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Eraser adds a "context menu item", so you can select a bunch of files, right click on the list and choose "Erase" (as opposed to "Delete") from the menu. It can also be configured to erase your swap file at shutdown. You can also use it to erase your unused disk space. Great program.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

CCleaner will overwrite files to NSA standards, including recycle bin. You must select what you wish to keep. I have Eraser and CCleaner. I fix a lot of computers for friends of mine, and have built quite a few. I use CCleaner to clean up the machines before devling into them. If you loose passwords just untick the saved passwords options. It is incredibly stable and have never read or had any problems other than maybe not selecting the right options. Secure deletion overwrites 7 times, NSA standard. When I used Eraser and then tried to move the Folder where I had erased the file from Windows would not let me. I had to use Unlocker as I believe Eraser uses Internet Explorer in it's operation and left all the handles leading to the now deleted files previous location. Just my experience.