PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
They Shall Not Grow Old

I consider myself lucky to have seen Peter Jackson's WWI documentary last night, since the theatrical release is extremely limited in scope. The 7pm showing of the regular version was sold out, so I bought a ticket for the "Real 3D" version. This is a 1 hr 40 min collection of actual WWI footage that has been digitally cleaned up, colorized, stabilized, and slowed down to a natural speed. The skills of forensic lip readers were utilized to determine what the soldiers in the old footage were saying, and then voice overs were added along with the sounds of horses, explosions, whizzing bullets, screams etc to bring the scenes to life. I was particularly impressed by the armor and artillery scenes. The big screen combined with loud surround sound pulls the viewer into the action.

The film starts with narrated, original B&W footage in letterbox format, which gradually expands to encompass the entire screen. When the movie shifts to the colorized images it was breathtaking. Akin, I would think, to what movie goers in 1939 must have experienced when Dorothy stepped out of her house into the land of Oz.

It is difficult for any film to live up to the hype proceeding its release, but this one certainly comes close. I will admit that after the initial wow factor of the enhanced footage drains away (maybe 20 minutes in, in my case), you get used to it, and except for occasional scenes that remind you that what you are viewing is truly special, the film becomes much like any other war documentary you my have seen.

At the beginning of the film you are invited to stick around until after the credits run to view a second, half hour long "making of" documentary, but I chose not to watch it - magic is much less impressive once you know how the trick is done.

Anyway, I highly recommend the film, and hope that you all get a chance to see it. https://www.theyshallnotgrowold.film/videos/
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Unhappy

Hello Folks,

roughly 15 years ago there was already a BBC Documentary "World War One in colour" with Kenneth Brannagh as Narrator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_BHhOAOLH4
It was a thrilling experience for me. But if one is really interested in this subject one has to put its nose into books, for example "The first world war" by John Keegan.
But this film doesn't seem to bring nothing new.
Just the name of the director of "The Hobbit", drawing the people into cinema, to earn some extra money for Mr. Jackson.
Making money with the dead!!!

The Oldenburger
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Money might also be a motivating factor for Mr. Jackson but I believe he is very interested and invested in this era.

And maybe it's good that a new generation of audience will get to know this time and start to reflect on it. IMHO the world needs that right now!
Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Perhaps it is appropriate to mention that besides making this gripping and amazing documentary, Peter Jackson's employees also have restored over 100 hours of WW1 footage for archival reasons.

The movie is impressive, to say the least. The colourized footage is so realistic, it really grabs you by the throat. The silent film has come to life with very meticulous lip reading and convincing setnoise of the battlefield. You see the effects the war had, shell-shocked men, the dead and the wounded in the sea of muddy trenches and craters. It grabbed me from start to end. The voices stay more or less anonymous and therefore they give the war a voice of its own. One big unknown soldier telling the story.

Jackson is very interested in WW1, he even has his own model making company creating WW1 aircraft kits in 1.32, with amazing detail. This was mostly a labour of love, although it has cost a lot of money, to get this footage this far. The film images have been slowed down to normal speed, the 'missing' frames are computer generated, the cameras people worked with then, were hand-cranked or worked with a spring, which ran slower when further unwound. So to get the film moving in a steady 25fps was a big job. The colouring too. The film has been dedicated to his grandfather who served in the British Army 1909-1919.

One thing that was a bit missing from the film in all its horror was the relentless beating of an artillery barrage fire. (set your speaker's volume back to a low volume. It is terrible. Horror.. Imagine you're in this for hours...)
Old 12-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
No standard documentary narration in this one.
The commentary throughout the film is provided by 114 actual WW1 veterans.

Yes, the film is dedicated to Jackson's Grandfather who served in the British Army WW1.
He has a serious interest in preserving history
and his collection of wartime vehicles is impressive.

I don't care how many documentaries you've seen, or how good they are,
this film takes it to a whole new level.
I learned stuff (straight from the Horse's mouth) that I did not know.
I've seen stuff that I have never seen before.

I cried numerous times.

The film work is INCREDIBLE...its like watching something that was filmed yesterday on a movie set.
I love the end credit "filmed entirely on location 194-1918".

And a couple of years ago, I saw some work being done on old WW1 films...
lip reading by experts and adding the actual words to silent films.
Now I know what it was for.
With all the added foley work, these images have truly been brought to life.

Saddest moment has to be hearing the stories of how these men returned home after the war to a general lack of interest in what had happened to them for 4 years.
Nobody knew...nobody cared.
How many times have you heard stories about Soldiers who never spoke about their experiences.
It wasn't because it affected them or was too painful to remember...
it was because nobody could relate or understand.
There was just no point in talking about the experience to anyone who didn't experience it.

I'm glad I got to experience some of it.
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I'm planning to see it Dec 27th

Young man sent to be slaughtered so that the monarchies can settle their bickering.

Generals piss in the air and say look it's raining......

Isaac
Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
I'll thank you for the movie recommendation and limit my comments to this:

This is important if only to enable the younger generations to understand how the climate and events of WWI led us to WWII; how those events shaped and continue to shape the world we live in today- and how vital it is that we stamp out the forces of bigotry, fascism, racism and just about every other damn 'ism' out there that are once again creeping from the shadows worldwide to spread chaos and dissent.

History matters. History repeats.

Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Freedom.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I agree with almost all of the above. I think there are probably much quicker and easier ways to make money than restore WW1 footage. In my opinion Mr. Jackson has used his fame to draw attention to the subject not himself.

I will seek this film out and I am sure it will provide many thoughtful hours of contemplation after I have seen it.

The "War to End All Wars" certainly did not. I fear mankind may never learn the lessons they have been taught so many times before. Just as no one ever thought WW1 could happen before it actually did we are facing some very frightening times. I just hope it is not too late.

In my short year doing paper kits I have made many friends all over the world. We all just want the same things. Enough food, security and happiness for our families. Just as those men did a century ago. I just don't understand why those who are supposedly our leaders cannot make the same friendships.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Must fully endorse what Airdave has said.

Went to see this film with reservations but they were totally dispelled.
The presentation was masterful, tasteful and sympathetic.

As long ago as the 1960's the IWM had equipment to run contemporary film at realistic speed and so that aspect was nothing new to me and I remain convinced that you had to have been there to truly understand what it was like.

However the colourisation added to the appropriate association with extracts from interviews by participants, recorded decades ago, gave a new aspect to a subject that I have never flinched from trying to understand.

No one left before the end of the lengthy credits, the soundtrack continued to keep them rooted to their seats.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I hope this comes to a theater near me. I will fill a seat for sure.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense