PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-18-2018, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Question Is it true? TBD-1 in ML-KNIL

Few minutes ago I came across this. I've never heard about any other users of Devastators than United States. Is this one in attachment real? I did a quick look for the informations but no results.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it true? TBD-1 in ML-KNIL-ducth-devastator.jpg  
Old 12-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Well if you saw it on the internet is has to be true!

In all my years of TBD related stuff I have never seen that it was used by anyone other then the USN. I think you found someone's whiffer.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 12-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
I thought the same, it's whiffer but there's a problem. It's identified. Tiny writing above says:
"Douglas TBD-1 Devastator serial D-104/D No.120 Squadron(Netherlands East Indies), ML-KNIL under RAAF command; Merauke/New Guinea, early 1944"

This must be some kind of an unknown fact or a perfectly done whiffer. I have no idea...
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I concur with Michael. I spent an hour scouring the 'net and my references, and cannot find anything.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWind View Post
I thought the same, it's whiffer but there's a problem. It's identified. Tiny writing above says:
"Douglas TBD-1 Devastator serial D-104/D No.120 Squadron(Netherlands East Indies), ML-KNIL under RAAF command; Merauke/New Guinea, early 1944"

This must be some kind of an unknown fact or a perfectly done whiffer. I have no idea...
I would hope our resident historian will check in here and set this right. These "whiffer" people are very talented. They can weave a pretty believable tale. In any case I doubt ANY TBD's were flying by 1944. By then the US industrial machine was in full production and there were much better aircraft available in all theaters by then.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
I'm guessing that they used the old Brewster buffalo why not the odd tbd that wandered into their hands
Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
I do not find anything either. Maybe some of the Dutch guys have information.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Just checked in on this thread (I was preparing for and delivering my USAWC film lecture on Pork Chop Hill).

A quick review of the printed sources on the Douglas TBD in my possession turned up no mention of a TBD flown by the MLD, the ML-KNIL or any other Dutch entity.

Nothing shows up in Jim Baugher's list: US Navy and US Marine Corps BuNos--Second Series (0001 to 5029)

Nothing shows up in the very thoroughly researched Stockholm IPMS documents:
Camouflage & Markings: Colours of the Dutch Air Force (Part II)
Camouflage & Markings: Colours of the Dutch Air Force (Part I)

Nothing at this very good Australian site: ADF Serials

Nothing at these MLD sites:
Netherlands Naval Aviation Service
http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/neth...d_all-time.htm

This Wiki article on 120 Squadron ML-KNIL does not mention a TBD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._12..._Squadron_RAAF

I have reviewed the relevant volume of the official Australian history: George Odgers, Australia in the War of 1939–1945, Series 3 – Air, Volume 2, Air War Against Japan, Canberra: Australian War Memorial, 1957, reprinted 1968 (available at https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1070210/). Dutch No. 120 Squadron was under Australian operational control during the war. This work indicates that 120 Squadron flew Curtiss Kittyhawks throughout the war and makes no mention of a TBD. This does not rule out the possibility that a surviving TBD was used as a 120 Squadron hack.

One other resource I do not have on my shelf, but I will try to get on inter-library loan: Tom Womack, The Dutch Naval Air Force against Japan; The Defense of the Netherlands East Indies, 1941–1941, Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, 2006.

Based on this (admittedly hasty) research, I cannot confirm or deny that there was a TBD-1 in Dutch markings, but it seems unlikely.

I hope that some one, perhaps a Dutch member of the Forum, can weigh inwith plausible evidence supporting the existence of the aircraft or definitive information that serial D-104/D of No.120 Squadron ML-KNIL was a what-if illustration.

Don

Added later - The national insignia in all the images I have seen of Dutch aircraft after the fall of the Netherlands East Indies are either a red-white-blue rectangle, the Australian roundel, or a U.S. star. My impression (subject to refutation by evidence) is that the orange triangle was not used after early 1942.

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-18-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Could have been used as training aircraft for bombing and gunnery.I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to take it into combat in 1944 after so much use.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
In my years of studying the TBD and it’s service record, I’ve never seen any reference to it being used by anyone other than the USN, in any role.

Wyvern
Google Adsense