PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Pancake instructions?

I apologize in advance for posting a non paper model topic, but there is a lot of life-experience here and someone might be able to offer me some advice.

One of my Christmas presents was a bag of flour which is supposed to be used as the foundation for constructing pancakes or waffles. The instructions that came with it were minimal, ie "mix the flour, eggs and milk, then heat until brown and bubbly".

I don't bake, and have never tried to build pancakes so I am looking for a set of detailed pancake assembly instructions.

Looking on the Web, I got intimidated by all different instructions, which were sometimes contradictory. There is a lot of emotion invested in debates about whether to build pancakes straight out of the box (bag?), or to customize with additional parts. The debates about whether or not it is OK to use either baking soda or yeast as after an market accessory got really nasty.
Anyway, is there any one here who has successfully built pancakes who would be willing to share their pancake construction methods?
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I assume you are thinking of the "thin pancakes?

Easy simple recipe...

140g plain flour
200ml whole milk
Pinch of salt - like half a teaspoon
2 eggs
25g butter, melted, plus a little extra for greasing.

I'll leave the conversions to you, but maybe your scale does do grms?

Put the flour, with a pinch of salt, into a big bowl and make a well in the middle.

Mix the milk and 100ml of water together.

Break the eggs into the well and start whisking slowly. Add the milk and water in a stream, whisking all the time.

Whisk until the batter is smooth and then pet the batter aside to rest for 30 mins.

Then melt the butter (microwave for 10-15 seconds), and whisk the melted butter into the batter.

Heat the pan over a medium heat.

Very lightly grease the pan with melted butter - use some mitch paper with butter on to do this.

Using a ladle or large spoon pour roughly 2 tbsp of batter into the pan and swirl it around so the bottom of the pan is evenly coated. You want to use just enough batter to make a thin pancake. Cook the pancake for about 45 secs on one side until golden and then using a palette knife or fish slice, flip the pancake over and cook the other side for about 30 secs.

Slide the pancake out of the pan and either serve immediately or stack on a plate.

Continue until all the batter is used up.

Serve sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon, lemon etc.

------------------------

If it's the "thick" American style pancakes then a different applies. See next post.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Eternal Member

Thick "American" style pancakes.

200g self-raising flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
25g melted butter
200ml milk
Butter for cooking.

Again conversions up to you.

Mix the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and a pinch of salt together in a big bowl.

Again create a well in the centre and add the eggs, melted butter and milk.

Whisk together (use an electric beater if you have one) until smooth, then pour into a jug.

Heat a small knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.

When the butter looks frothy pour in rounds of the batter, approximately 3 to 3 1/2 inches wide.

Make sure you don’t put the pancakes too close together as they will spread during cooking.

Cook the pancakes on their first side for about 1-2 mins or until lots of tiny bubbles start to appear and pop on the surface. Flip the pancakes over and cook for a further minute on the other side. Repeat until all the batter is used up.

Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or bacon or whatever grabs you!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:28 PM
Eternal Member

Simple. The less ingredients in a recipe the better.

------------------------

I have a family cookbook (the recipes above are NOT from there) with English (Yorkshire) recipes, and the recipes there are simple. They are up to 200 years old and all work great today.

They were basically for country and mining folk so nothing was extra fancy. Just basic good food - I used one today to make "ginger bread".
Attached Thumbnails
Pancake instructions?-_20181231_212952.jpg  
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
All those instructions are great, but we're missing some important information. Is the bag of flour just basic flour, or is it labelled specifically as "Pancake Mix"?

Pancake mix comes with the dry ingredients needed for pancakes already mixed in, so all you need to provide are the liquid ingredients called for in the instructions on the bag. Adding extra dry ingredients will mess up the delicate balance and you could end up with pan-hockey-pucks instead of pancakes.
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Eternal Member

True Murphy.

I assumed the flour mentioned was straight flour, as a mix would come with instructions on the packet? So John would not then be looking for recipes?

But maybe this assumption is wrong. John?

Last edited by Kevin WS; 12-31-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear John:
Try this: in a bowl put 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk Beat with whisk, Start by Adding 1/2 cup of the mix. Stir with the whisk. Pour out onto hot pan. If it is Plain flour you have just made a Norman French pancake it will be thin like a crepe. If it looks like a pancake then it is a mix and use approx. equal amounts of mix and liquid for the batter.
Experiment have fun,
Miles
PS: I too have a 200+year old pancake recipe I will share.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Get pancake mix,follow directions.The End

For some reason cheap,store brand mix tastes better for me than brand names but your taste buds might disagree.What you put on the pancakes makes all the difference in the world.

Yes,I'm a cheap bastard that's why I like this hobby
Old 12-31-2018, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
Kevin WS, you're spot on cobber with that thick American pancake mix except I like to think of it as an Australian pancake.
Bloody beautiful, especially with streaky bacon and maple syrup, topped with a fried egg (runny yolk).
If I may, I might suggest cooking in a small amount of Ghee (clarified butter) rather than ordinary butter. It doesn't go brown or burn like butter can.
I use Ghee most of the time for cooking in since I was made aware of it.
Good recipe mate.
Shall we mention Koeksisters or is that best kept secret?
Old 12-31-2018, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
... IHOP

with sausages
Google Adsense