PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Ecardmodels

Any news from the front yet? Getting a bit worried!
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
I guess that while the people of Ecard are members here, we'll hear of it from them personally when it all is done and it all is up and running again. Keep your fingers crossed, Diderick. We're all in the same little boat.

(yes that's a Dutchie expression again.)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Let's hope it will come back. In my opinion, it has taken too long to prepare the new web page. I have seen several other web pages, much more complex than Ecard being made in just a few days, so I am beginning to think they will never bring it back which would be a real pity.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Let's hope it will come back. In my opinion, it has taken too long to prepare the new web page. I have seen several other web pages, much more complex than Ecard being made in just a few days, so I am beginning to think they will never bring it back which would be a real pity.
At the risk of being attacked again I have to agree with the above. To me the whole handling of this has been questionable. We keep getting promises of "real soon now" but then nada. I did database designs and conversions for a living for 35+ years. Trust me gang, the size and complexity of the ecards database is nothing compared to most other DBs.

Then there is the issue of long term viability of the new ecards site. Dedicated designers have already realized that the only way to do this is to do their own website with the shopping carts feature.

Website design is no longer "smoke and mirrors" so there is no reason to have to share your income with a site like ecards.

OK. So now I will go get my helmet on and prepare for the onslaught.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Post 3...
you are correct...it has been way too long.
You are new here, and I'll forgive your lack of understanding of how and why ecards has not reappeared.
You also aren't privy to what we are dealing with in private.
There are other threads that explain some of the difficulties we have faced.
I wish it were as simple as building a new webstore like many others have done.
It isn't.

Post 4...
3000 posts (in only a year?) of twaddle and complaints.
How about a "build thread" ...or a "tutorial"...or design and release your own model and post about that?
Anything but the pointless... aww nevermind.

"the whole handling of this has been questionable."
LOL what do you think is happening?
some sort of conspiracy to hide the truth about what is really happening in the secret spy organization known as ecardmodels?

"Trust me gang, the size and complexity of the ecards database is nothing compared to most other DBs."
Oh, so now you have intimate knowledge of the ecard database and what the problems are?
And you're going to teach us how it should be done.
And yet, I'm called "condescending"?

"Website design is no longer "smoke and mirrors""
Another implication that for some unknown reason ecardmodels is trying to hide something from you?! lol
This just gets better.

"there is no reason to have to share your income with a site like ecards."
You heard it from the expert folks...no reason to spend your money with us.
The paper model forum guru has decreed it.

"So now I will go get my helmet on..."
Make sure its bolted down securely and airtight. Wouldn't want any of those important paper model posts escaping your brain.
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 879.73 MB
You know what they say, good things in life take a little time! I am willing to wait for E-card models to reappear and in the interim I can start saving money because I know when they are open for business . . . I'm going to be doing some serious shopping! Bring on the SNP repaints and Kampflieger offerings! I am also using the time to try to make a dent in the stash of unbuilt kits in my computer.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Post 3...
you are correct...it has been way too long.
You are new here, and I'll forgive your lack of understanding of how and why ecards has not reappeared.
You also aren't privy to what we are dealing with in private.
There are other threads that explain some of the difficulties we have faced.
I wish it were as simple as building a new webstore like many others have done.
It isn't.

Post 4...
3000 posts (in only a year?) of twaddle and complaints.
How about a "build thread" ...or a "tutorial"...or design and release your own model and post about that?
Anything but the pointless... aww nevermind.

"the whole handling of this has been questionable."
LOL what do you think is happening?
some sort of conspiracy to hide the truth about what is really happening in the secret spy organization known as ecardmodels?

"Trust me gang, the size and complexity of the ecards database is nothing compared to most other DBs."
Oh, so now you have intimate knowledge of the ecard database and what the problems are?
And you're going to teach us how it should be done.
And yet, I'm called "condescending"?

"Website design is no longer "smoke and mirrors""
Another implication that for some unknown reason ecardmodels is trying to hide something from you?! lol
This just gets better.

"there is no reason to have to share your income with a site like ecards."
You heard it from the expert folks...no reason to spend your money with us.
The paper model forum guru has decreed it.

"So now I will go get my helmet on..."
Make sure its bolted down securely and airtight. Wouldn't want any of those important paper model posts escaping your brain.
ROTFLMAO!!!

AirDave you are SO EASY to troll. I thought sure it would take you at least a few hours to attack but you are right here on it!

Excuse me but isn't a necessary part of this hobby peeps who actually build the models? Sorry that I have only added 3,000 posts of actually building stuff instead of ranting and raving about my free birthday offer, etc. Many of those threads were sincerely complimenting others as well . Not just a quick "atta boy" but carefully worded comments.

The sad thing is that I still recommend your P-47 build thread as a great tutorial for beginners. I have also built a few Koolwheelz and shared them with some kids. Also have pointed a few Moms to your site as a place to get kids started in paper modeling.

Regardless of your thoughts on the matter the whole ecards crash has been a debacle. What has it been now? Six months or more? Regardless of what you say I could have resurrected that site a few years ago when I and my employees were on their game in a few weeks AT MOST. It would also have been a viable site for years to come.

FYI in the years before Y2K my consulting company developed software that saved many companies from what could have put them out of business. I got my BS in Computer Science in 1980. I personally knew Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie who developed the "C" programming language. I served as a technical adviser to the ANSI committee that certified the "C" programming language in 1985.

So I really don't think you are in a position to question my abilities. You are certainly not in a position to question my Love for this hobby and the People who I consider very close friends on this forum. Needless to say I think you know where you fall on that list.

I have purposefully not replied to many of your posts in the last few months but the Ecards post this morning was just not something that I could let pass without making my comments. Now I suggest that you do what the moderators here have suggested to you and block me. I have no intention of leaving this site no matter how much abuse you give me and others, especially newcomers.

Have a Nice Day....
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I haven't questioned your "abilities".
But YOU have questioned the abilities of those trying to "resurrect" ecardmodels.
You have also belittled their efforts and insulted their intelligence.
You arrogant "troll".

Moderators have not suggested I block you.
Another assumption on your part?

Quote:
how much abuse you give me and others, especially newcomers.
When you were a newcomer, you got my praise, and free models.
Another lie on your part.
And now you've been here a year....and whining for six months about ecardmodels.

Quote:
Regardless of your thoughts on the matter the whole ecards crash has been a debacle. What has it been now? Six months or more?
Regardless of what you say I could have resurrected that site a few years ago when I and my employees were on their game in a few weeks AT MOST. It would also have been a viable site for years to come.
arrogant troll
Old 01-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

There is no shortage of printed kits. Most of my models are purchased directly and I get them via snail mail or in person. I then go ahead and build the kits while posting the process right here on the forum.

There are those that favor downloads, however, there are multiple sites to choose from, so what's the fuss......

My perspective:
This fascination with eCard is going to just cause division among the members here. It has the making of all the political drama and at the end will just embroil both sides in point, counter points and name calling ( just like the political crap going on now in the USA ).

My suggestion is to just forget about eCard and let it take it's time. If it gets resurrected, then great. If it dies, then so be it. In any case there is no shortage of models. So stop bitching and keep on building!

Isaac
Old 01-19-2019, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
For anyone who has not worked on this project for the past few months without being privy to the host of challenges and obstacles that have been faced and then come here to threads such as this to chastise, criticize and belittle is disrespectful to say the least. Technology as we all know does not stand still. What worked last year or five or ten years ago, let alone five minutes ago is obsolete and is not applicable to how things work now. Technology changes rapidly, daily even, and to take an already complex eCommerce solution and simply convert it into a new platform has nothing to do with what has been mentioned thus far on this thread. I know because I've done this many times and I can tell you without a doubt that Ecards is the most complex and challenging migration I have ever been a part of.

I could get into the complexities of the amount of data, the types of data, and the breakdown of the disbursement that has to be configured, but it would be pointless as some who believe they can do it faster, easier, or better would simply jump in and argue the point. I could point out the challenges faced by having to manipulate gigabytes of files and the corresponding file data by hand while also having to reinvent the wheel with regards to how the old site operated and translate that into a new system that not only organizes said data, but makes sure the right data is disseminated to the customer from literally thousands of files, but unless you've been in the trenches along with some of my fellow compatriots, you just wouldn't get it.

At the beginning of this process, it was announced that this could take months, and it has because it is NOT as simple task or as easy a process as spurious commercials from Wix or Godaddy would make it seem. Technology and especially software platforms in the digital age are notoriously proprietary so contrary to popular belief, converting it from one format to another is not as simple as the click of the mouse or stroke of the keyboard. Furthermore, it can take a small team of 2-3 people up to a week or longer to convert and configure a small scaled store with less than fifty products IF they work around the clock and neglect their own full time endeavors and the holidays which I might add, came and went with the blink of an eye. But real life can not be ignored for some and many working on this project have faced some real life issues that again no one else has been privy to that have hampered their efforts. To minimize these issues, again is contemptuous to say the least.

At the beginning of this process, patience was requested and it was no trivial request let me tell you, because Rome was NOT built in a day, and neither was Ecards. It took literally years for it to grow and materialize into what it did and to compress the size, scale and complexity of it into a microscopic endeavor simply doesn't do it justice. The Ecards team is working on it, despite all of these challenges and obstacles to make it happen sooner than later and there there are dedicated people still working the solutions behind the scenes as I type out this long winded reply. Leave them be and let them work and iron out the final challenges. If you do, the wait will be worth it, I promise. If not, then I challenge you to build a store of the same size and complexity and get it up and running soon, because if you think you can, then you've obviously not reached the full potential or scope of your baccalaureate...
Google Adsense