PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Annoyed, angry, sad because of piracy

So I feel today after receiving an email from Gerard Methorst. This morning before leaving for work he sent an email to Gerard telling him that he was about to start building another of his designs. To my surprise Gerard is upset, and it's no wonder , anyone would be. His Fokker F-27 that he recently built appears in a site as a design of a certain "Gahm". This site that I can not publish is well known (and is not Russian), I have even seen here some threads with models downloaded from .I suppose Gerard thought I am responsible for this. It is not like that, I never did anything illegal or I will do it, how do these people manage to do this I do not know or have the capacity to find out. Go to the site and check the almost 1900 models of airplanes there, not only the F-27 this, there are 21 Gerard designs housed there. And there are NOBI designs, Bruno, Yoav, Gary, Kancho to name a few. More than posting this I can not do, I do not have the ability or knowledge to try another thing.If this publication is not correct the moderators will know what to do.What I regret is the displeasure that Gerard must feel, whom I respect a lot and I will always be grateful for his kindness and cordiality with me. Thank you very much.
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2019, 01:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I believe the only thing you can do is to work on building awareness how much work creators do to make new models available.

And also you have to accept the fact that due to so many reasons (ignorance, poverty, greed, political) there will always be areas where you just cannot do anything against piracy. This is going on on all levels, even in global research and production.

I try to focus on the people who understand and support what we do and hope the rest will learn on day. Work more on building and ejoying the good relationships and only fight where it is neccessary (and quite frankly possible).

Chris
Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
I fully agree with Mr. Papierschntzel. Piracy is here and will always ALWAYS be. It is a futile waste of time, money, energy etc. trying to fight it. Several threads have been opened. lots of comments and the situation is the same. So following Mr. P. lets build more and more paper models, legally obtained and forget about piracy and trying to find out what can be done against it. It is more positive to stick to the hobby and enjoy it to the full.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
I fully agree with Mr. Papierschntzel. Piracy is here and will always ALWAYS be. It is a futile waste of time, money, energy etc. trying to fight it. Several threads have been opened. lots of comments and the situation is the same. So following Mr. P. lets build more and more paper models, legally obtained and forget about piracy and trying to find out what can be done against it. It is more positive to stick to the hobby and enjoy it to the full.
So, from which of the previous "Piracy is here to stay" comments did you pull this one from? From RickPink65? Edubarca? Eduardo?

we try to combat piracy, and your comments do nothing to help combat it, in fact the opposite, it is something that should be tolerated and accepted.

You are wrong in this instance, as you have been wrong in every other instance regarding piracy of paper models

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
The only way to combat piracy is not downloading or purchasing pirated models, period. Other efforts are futile, useless. For example those lousy Chinese card models. Just don't buy them and if it is not a good business the pirates will stop offering them. It is a simple matter of offer and demand. And NEVER, NEVER download any illegal card models.
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
The only way to combat piracy is not downloading or purchasing pirated models, period. Other efforts are futile, useless. For example those lousy Chinese card models. Just don't buy them and if it is not a good business the pirates will stop offering them. It is a simple matter of offer and demand. And NEVER, NEVER download any illegal card models.
And how does the uneducated hobbyist/model builder learn what is and isn't a pirated file?
download and build, and when they post the model, and get scolded, and disillusioned with the hobby due to the transgression?
Education is still the best tool to combat piracy, letting piracy hide behind the curtain does nothing to stem that tide.

Not all pirates sell stolen models, most of them share them on their own networks, usually rehosted on other file servers, taking away traffic and potentially money from the designer/publishing house.
This hurts the hobby as well.

like it has been said before: "Theft is theft" it will hurt everyone in the long run

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
And much as these recurring posts about the problems with piracy may bother those who have read too many of them, they are still educational to newer members who may not realize the various ways designers are hurt by the theft.
Especially those who release "free" models, but try to earn money from web-traffic to their site. Many people might not realize that getting the free model from someone else still takes traffic away from the original site.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Being part of the solution is far better than being part of the problem, or than doing nothing at all.

And even though Vinalssergio feels powerless about the situation, the very fact that he acknowledges how bad it is for him, for the designer, and the hobby in general, and that he shares his feelings (which have generated this discussion) is much more constructive and positive that just idle contemplation/resignation of the issue being discussed.

There's people from this forum who have actively fought piracy, and have gotten noticeable results. Many of those efforts are made in private and go unpublicized, but have been effective. So I know for a fact that yes, it can be done. And even if the effort is a small drop of water on a big ocean, is much better than just not helping at all. Such attitude only benefits the offender, and does nothing for the victim or for the hobby.