PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for this additional info, Joe. Fascinating stuff.

I had no immediate wartime knowledge of the Wheaties planes. As far as I know, I never got one, either from a cereal box, or at a grocery store. Nor do I remember the cut-and-assemble "Wheaties Planes." I was five when the war ended, so my memories are pretty dim (but I do remember my mother cutting out and assembling Rigbys from the Pittsburgh Sunday paper). A few years later, and into the 1950s, I was a voracious consumer of breakfast cereal and the airplanes, airports, railroad trains, and Indian lore cards that came with the boxes.

I first learned about the cut-and-assemble "Wheaties Planes" in the 70s or 80s, when I began making paper models again courtesy of Lou Dausse. All my "Wheaties Planes" are reproductions.

There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence that the cereal box airplanes really did exist during the war, probably produced by General Mills because of the popularity of the rubber band models.

And now we have the revitalized Wheaties models by Padraig (B-17 & Wheaties).

Don
Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
I don't recall the pre-assembled Wheaties airplanes. But my memory (always suspect) is of sending two Wheaties box tops and a dime to somewhere, and sooner or later (forever, it seemed) a package with two cut out and assemble airplanes would arrive. It took a penny glued into the spinner to make it glide properly. That would have been in the early 1940's.

The penny part was easy. And waiting until that second box of Wheaties (another bowlful, please) to empty was torture, but the hardest part was convincing my dad that I just HAD to have a dime!

Someone was selling a batch of them (reproduced) at the convention a few years ago, but I don't remember who.

Jim
Old 04-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Great memories, Jim. I enjoyed reading them.

I suspect that Pete Heesch has a stash of these kits. I will have to ask him.

Don
Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Pete has a stash of everything!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I didn’t know about the pre assembled Sky Ranger, so thanks for sharing that. I think the original post was regarding the penny weight gliders that were based (sometimes very loosely) on actual wartime aircraft, and were kits that could be mailed flat. My dad remembers building them when they were re issued during the 50’s and I bought a number back when PMI offered them. My dad was able to re-acquire his beloved P-40 glider model.

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2019, 06:00 AM

I'd love to get confirmation of the wartime Wheaties penny gliders. So far, we all seem to have memories of, or examples of, the 1950s re-issues and the PMI re-reissues.

Already, this thread has turned up new (to me) information about the Wheaties airplane saga.

Below is my display with my favorite Wheaties Jack Armstrong penny glider- the Fairey Fulmar, which has been flown around the house by three generations of beese.

Historical note: I took the photo of the Fulmar at the very first Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event in Carlisle in May 2009. Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Greg Perry, and I established the event that year. The Tenth Anniversary PM@AHD event will take place next month (18-19 May) and all four of us will be there (along with Peter Ansoff, Jack Colin, Rev. Thomas Davies Clay, John Dell, Linda Kemp, Anne McCombs, and Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors).

Apologies for the diversion from the thread topic, Curt, but sometimes my elderly mind wanders.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Who Designed Wheaties Wings-wheaties_fulmar_ahd_2009r.jpg   Who Designed Wheaties Wings-ahd-3-5.jpg  
Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I found a page on skytamer that has some Rigby Design glider models offered by NaBisCo in 1948.
NABISCO Flying Circus (36) National Biscuit Company (F275-5) USA
Click on each image to get a larger version.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:48 AM

I remember those! I built and flew them as a kid.

Chip Fyn used to give them out as extras when you bought a Fiddlers Green CD. I presume that I have at least some of those models on my FG CDs.

Don
Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
This website has a description of the Wheaties premiums from 1935 thru 1948.

Jack Armstrong
Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Some "dime" flyers can be downloaded from the Koopman site.

Fly'N Things -- Amazing Paper Airplanes
Google Adsense