PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-12-2019, 03:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very good Dave - Guinness! I agree!

--------------------------------------------

In terms of recycling glass, and paper, it's not that they cant, it is just it is not as profitable as paper from raw material or manufactured glass.

In this country recycled paper is MORE expensive than virgin paper - priced like that as they don't want to make more.

Money talks. And note - I am not supposing or talking through my hat - I can explain the whys of the above if anyone is interested.

And sadly the will to follow through by the authorities and recyclers is lacking.

Two examples. Both from the UK.

Glass bottles - there is only one major glass recycling plant in the UK!!!! And it is pitiful in size. Coca Cola recently, to avoid the plastics, had plans in the UK to switch to glass bottles with a deposit. It likes like they are abandoning the idea as there just is no capacity to recycle the old bottles. Incredible but true.

Recycling. I did a number of company/facility environmental audits in and around London. I also audited a local Municipality.

In ALL cases the result was the same. The companies and the Municipality spent a great deal of money on establishing waste streams, training and incentivising people to recycle. Separate bins for paper, glass, tins, plastics, batteries etc.

I found all the waste was separated , and placed in the relevant waste stream, and then collected. At this stage, the municipalities etc then consolidated it all again and stuck it in general waste.

The Municipality I audited was also where I stayed - and we got stiff fines if we did not split. Yet they threw everything in the same vehicle skip! And then into the one dump!

No wonder they don't recycle glass there much - how are they going to get the bottles?

One note - what I have said above only hold true for the audits I did - London and Greater London. I did notice is Essex and Yorkshire efforts being made at actual waste handling facilities to do some splits, which means they were actually recycling some material.

-------------------------------

And in case anyone is wondering in terms of waste, it is possible, without too much effort, to make any operation, business or residential area "zero waste to landfill". I have done these implementations numerous times. It's achieved via recycling and repurposing. My own house here is in fact zero waste to landfill.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I think the whole issue or recycling was made in days when prices of electricity were low and eco-taxes were a non issue.With those two very much an issue now recycling is a lot less viable economically.

I miss my milk in glass bottles.It was better back then and amount of plastic I junk from just milk is not funny.Glass bottles were much better idea imho but only when they were thicker and they broke less often.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The problem with recycling in the US is once again the government. They spent untold millions giving grants to local municipalities to build recycle centers to collect. The money should have gone to finding good uses for the materials. With value everyone would recycle because it would put money in their pocket.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Send that to Carlsberg...and say "its been done!" lol

I was just wondering, if the paper bottle will improve the taste of Danish beer?

Q. You know what improves the taste of danish beer?
A. Guiness!
B. Ayinger

Although Guinness is a huge improvement on Carlsburg.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
A paper bottle strong enough to contain carbonated beer?
Anyone who has made their own beer, sooner or later has dealt with exploding bottles,
hopefully paper shards will not have sharp edges.

Beer stored in container with "polymer" surfaces,

no thanks, I will stick with glass.
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John - now you put it like that it does sound really odd.

And probably is an environmental mess because of added chemicals, binders etc...
Old 10-23-2019, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great idea, finally big companies started to think about future and nature. Thank you for sharing this
Old 10-23-2019, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Although recycling glass does save over making fresh glass, it's still FAR MORE expensive than plastic. And paper is even cheaper by another order of magnitude or so.
Ideally, the glass needs to be sorted by color to keep clear glass clear and other colors pure as well. I'm pretty sure only the dairy industry actually washed and reused their glass bottles. Everything else gets crushed and re-melted into new glass. Which takes far more energy than melting and molding plastic does.
Paper, on the other hand only needs to be just over water boiling point to recycle.
So that explains the reason paper is preferred over plastic or glass.
Add to that the problem in America that they just cannot get proper recycling sorting working, so everything has gone to "single stream" recycling, which just ends up with the recycled material going straight to the land fill, just through a "recycling center" first.
In many European countries, they've had much better success in getting recyclable material sorted and have achieved at least some recycling. But glass is still far more expensive to manufacture and recycle.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is something I saw with the recycling truck that picks up the curbside bins. It drives down the road and stops beside a bin. Arms reach out and pick up the bin, the side of the truck opens, the bin is dumped, then the bin is set back down. Well one time both sides of the truck were open so the contents of the bins were being dumped onto the street on the other side of the truck. Pretty effing ridiculous.