PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
2013 Movie 'The Wind Rises'

Apologies if this movie has been mentioned before, but I started watching this animated fictionalized biopic by Studio Ghibli of the story of Japanese aircraft designer Jiro Horikoshi (1903-1982), responsible for types such as the Mitsubishi A5M and A6M. Stunning animation and well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSpDgiF5y8
Old 10-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks Rata.

Watched the trailer and it does look interesting. The only hurdle I would have to on overcome is the anime style - especially the faces - which drives me nuts!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I know exactly what you mean on that front which is why I don't generally watch Japanese animation. But I found with this one there's plenty to distract the viewer- the backgrounds are truly awesome and the planes are pretty accurately drawn with an almost Herge (Tintin) quality. The makers obviously did their research.
If you do watch it there is an English dubbed version.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
It has a great quality, as usual with Studio Ghibli. Which is just a different category in itself when talking about Japanese animation.

Hayao Miyazaki has always had a great love for flying machines, and this may be his ultimate expression of it represented in a film. For any lover of airplanes (specially the golden age) this is a must see.

I don't think it's Miyazaki's best film, but it certainly has all the care and attention to detail. And the human part of the film is actually quite touching. Being torn between what you want, and what it is.

There were a couple of references that were a bit beyond my enjoyment. Like, I never understood the reference to the Magic Mountain and that weird character. But besides that, it's a very nice story.

This is a good review of the film, worth reading:
https://www.thewrap.com/oscarwrap-mi...e-controversy/

Old 10-13-2019, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I've seen that film a while back.Very well done and stunning at times,some very interesting references to other designers but viewer has to remember that this is not a biography as good portions of film are fiction.

As a side note it was interesting for me to compare lives of other aircraft designers of those days like Dornier,Tupolev and Douglas (just to mention few).Same times and so very different lives.All stated in biplane age and all ended in jet age with front seats of space age.Up until above mentioned film I didn't know much about Jiro Horikoshi who rightly deserves his place among great aero engineers.
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
We watched this film as one of the Japanese films shown bimonthly for my Japanese classes at Dickinson College. I thought it was excellent. My grandsons also gave me the DVD.

As my grandsons grew up, I watched a lot of Japanese anime with them, have grown to like the graphic style, and have become used to the conventions.

As Rubén pointed out, Miyazaki has always had a fascination for aviation of the Golden Age, and lovingly drawn aircraft feature in many of his films.

Don