PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
PaperMau is gone

Wyvern noticed that it was inaccessible this morning, so I emailed Mauther and got this response

Quote:
Hello, Dave,

I am sorry. The blog was infected with a virus, a Trojan to be more exact, and I was forced to block the site.

Tried in many ways to eliminate the Trojan and failed. This virus spreads from machine to machine, doing forced bitcoin mining, increasing the use of memory and even energy consumption. The good news is that the Trojan is only active when accessing the infected site, in case, unfortunately, my blog.

I was then forced to take it down and I have no intention of making it available, as I could not eradicate the invasion.

I installed anti-virus paid versions of Norton and Avast and also used several free anti-virus and anti-malware programs and was unsuccessful.

I contacted some sites that monitor and maintain sites in order, but fees (minimum annual subscriptions) are not possible for my financial conditions. What's more, the blog never made a profit. The little money that comes in with Adsense is not enough to pay 30% of my broadband Internet subscription.

Too bad, it was almost ten years dedicated to the blog, but I have no patience to start all over again, at least not at the moment.

Well, that's it, Dave, I hope all is well with you and all yours.

Greetings from Brazil to USA!

Your friend,

Mauther
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
You will be missed.

Mike
Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
A sad day indeed.

Mauther,
I truly enjoyed your daily updates, projects and finds. I hope to see your work in some form soon.

Jason
Old 11-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.77 GB
So sad, loved that site.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is indeed sad news for Mauther and with unfortunate implications for our pastime.

Mauther was doing nothing but giving pleasure and happiness to the world. It is sad that evil doers would force an end to his wonderful enterprise.

Many thanks to you, Mauther, for all the models and good humor you provided and good wishes for the future. I hope you will continue to participate in the Forum.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I emailed him back and asked if he was going to go back to the French forum he used to be quite active on, but haven't gotten a response.

I certainly don't want to push him. He has to be trying to work through all this and probably needs some space. I'm really going to miss his blog and his creations
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
Mauther, I didn't see this post until just now, so please ignore my message. I am so sorry that you fell victim to these terrible trolls that prey on others.

I will really miss Papermau. I visited every day. I'm sorry that it has become such a hassle for you. I hope you continue as an active member of our community.

One of my favorite YouTubers is Jim Browning. He works on exposing scammers especially the fake virus ones who prey on the most vulnerable. If you are interested look him up.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Bummer! Papermau was my favorite site, next to PaperModelers of course. Mauther, thank you for all you have given our community over the years, you will be missed.

Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Oh no. Some people are so selfish and destructive.
Yes, the loss of a decade's worth of work will indeed have an impact on heart and being.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is some sad news. I did not go to the blog much but when I did it was nice to see all of the stuff available. Thanks for the memories, Mauther.
Google Adsense