PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
The one that hurts the most is the Scud launcher seeing as it took me 8 years to finish it. The suspension failed. But then again that was an earlier part of the build that was of more questionable build quality on my part.
If it's any consolation, mine is starting to fall apart too. That suspension is just a bit too fragile even after all the strengthening I added to it with CA, this model just doesn't like being moved. Every time I pick it up, about 3 or 4 wheels fall off.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 01-08-2020, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Upon return from a trip to Guam I discovered the former girlfriend's dog had used my nearly complete GPM Graf Spee as a chew toy.

I asked said former girlfriend to water a plant on top of a dresser. Water overflowed out of the pot's water tray, out of the second clear tray in which the pot sat, ruined the top of the dresser, and destroyed a complete Fly Model He 162 Mistel sitting next to the plant. I have no clue how she managed to get so much water into that pot.

One day I picked up a finished Halinski Hawker Harrier GR1. It fell in half. Eventually, it went into the recycle bin.

My nearly complete Halinski F-16 went into the recycle bin almost exactly 10 years after starting it. I lost the remaining parts and all will to finish it.

Many more died after or near completion. So it goes.

About 12 years ago I started building display cases for everything that mattered. More recently, I began refurbishing old, dusty models and putting them into weather seal totes as my poor health allows. Protect it or lose it. In truth, trying to save anything is pointless. When I am gone, they will all end up in someone's dumpster.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Greg you better keep the FAMO under tight lock and key far away and out of reach from the four legged furbees and the grand kids. I'd be a shame for it to go down the same path as the others.
Cat is gone, surrendered to nearby local no-kill shelter, and FAMO currently lives in basement away from everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabraham View Post
Greg, your builds are of such high quality that they are museum pieces. Have you considered loaning them or giving them away to your local library or a nearby museum for all to enjoy?
Phil
Thought of that. Local library doesn't really have long term storage space. The truck museum in Walcott, IA has never returned on my offer to donate some of my truck models for display. Closer museums are all regional so possible subjects to donate are few. The local airport does have a display of airplane models from our local model club members, but it is currently being considered for an overhaul so maybe I could donate to that in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
If it's any consolation, mine is starting to fall apart too. That suspension is just a bit too fragile even after all the strengthening I added to it with CA, this model just doesn't like being moved. Every time I pick it up, about 3 or 4 wheels fall off.
While its nice to know I'm not the only one with durability issues with this model, I am sorry to hear you are having similar problems. This is one model I never intend to build a second time. I just don't have it in me.

Guess I'll try and muster the MoJo to finish the Dreadnaught replacement I started however there will be no thread on here for it. Maybe on one of my other replacement builds in the future.

greg
Old 01-08-2020, 10:33 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Nick/Greg,

Have you considered mounting the Scud model on a wooden base, maybe with some grass for visual appeal, so that the entire model is supported?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Yeah Rick, I need to get it into a display case of some sort, it's the nicest looking model I've finished to date, I need to look after it. It sits in a pretty well protected shelf, the problems start when I pick it up to take it to a show etc, and then there's the whole "posing" thing, when at the show, setting it up in launch mode etc. It would be so much easier to just leave it in travel mode and close it up into a case, but you're right... A permanent base with a removable cover might be the way to go.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2020, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
A permanent base with a cover seems to be the way to go. Even a lot of the plastic truck builders do this, especially with their longer rigs, since they also have problems with suspension failures and frame sag.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Nick/Greg,

Have you considered mounting the Scud model on a wooden base, maybe with some grass for visual appeal, so that the entire model is supported?
At this point, not happening for the Scud. Have been considering some sort of base for the FAMO rig though once the trailer is done.

greg
Old 01-14-2020, 01:35 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Sorry about your loss.

I had plans to stat several build projects n late 2019, as a celebration of my new house and added storage space ad work area. I had downloaded many kits and bought about 30 kits, including a few foil paper Macons and Hindenburgs, and two Los Angeles airship kits as my starting project, then the new hot water heater blew out a top valve and destroyed several in process builds and over 30 professionally punished kits.

Insurance isn't going to cover the recovery cost (and I cant even find several if it would!), so I understand your loss.

You lost work accomplished; I dreams unfulfilled...