PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Best Papermodels : Diorama Holland 1944

Hi all,

And especially those who might have built the kit, or if any of the Dutch members know where the diorama was "pulled" from.

Has anyone done any research as to where the windmill and section of the dike might be located?

Or is it just something generically depicting a typical part of the Netherlands?

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Everything here suggests it is just a generic Dutch mill, and the diorama must also be phantasy. Imagine what would happen to the traffic when the mill would have to turn into the wind (so round its vertical axis!). A mill like this would have a larger gravel or similar circle around it, used as a path for this turning operation. That was done by means of a winch attached to vertical beams, attached to the rotating top part of the mill. A rope or chain would be attached to the white bollards to pull the top round, after which the same bollards would be used to anchor the mill. One would also expect a track towards it to transport the corn and the flour.'See attached pictures of a watwermill and a flour mill - but many more types can be found throughout our countrty.

It could also be a watermill, but then one would expect a large waterwheel by the side, or an Archimedes screw inside - nnecessitating a watercourse down the middle of the building.

Diderick A. den Bakker, The Netherlands

Looks nice, but not very realistic!
Attached Thumbnails
Best Papermodels : Diorama Holland 1944-watermolen.jpg   Best Papermodels : Diorama Holland 1944-korenmolen-de-zaandplatte-ruinen-foto-rtv-drenthe-google-maps.jpg  
Old 02-01-2020, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Bakker...once again I have reported you for copyright infringement.
This time to Tumblr.
I've asked them to remove the photos I own and never authorized for use.
I shudder to think how many of the photos in your "gallery" have been acquired without the proper permissions.
I even found a few where you state you have "no information" on the photo or model therein.
Once again you appropriate photos this way for your own benefit.
Once again you use other people's work to sell your own models.
No, its not just a gallery (of paper models)...its a promotional device and includes numerous references and links to your own webstore and models.
Even your questions and "contact" link is just a direct link to your store.
Stop stealing other people's photos.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Maybe they just figured the resulting model may show some discrepancies, only visible for people with expert knowledge...
Old 02-01-2020, 09:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I was hoping, on the off chance, that the dio actually represented a location in the Netherlands, so I could try and find it on Google Earth, and maybe add some more ground detail to make it look somewhat like the real place
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2020, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
some remarks

- the usage of the word "holland" is incorrect, as "holland" is just a part of "the netherlands", situated in the west and northwestern part of the netherlands. this area can be divided into two provinces: zuid-holland and noord-holland, both above the river rhine and maas.
in 1944 only the southern and south-western part of the netherlands was liberated: the provinces of zuid-limburg, noord-brabant and zeeland. "holland" was only liberated in the spring of 1945. so this diorama cannot be situated in "holland" in 1944, it can be in "the netherlands" in 1944.

- i agree with mr den bakker the windmill is most likely used to control the waterlevel in a "polder". as this windmill is not that high, it's most likely situated out of the vicinity of a village or town, so at the edge of a polder. (windmills built inside a town or village were higher, to catch enough wind. these windmills usually have an "omloop", a kind of catwalk around the windmill. these types of windmills are called "stellingmolens" (sorry, cannot find the english word)
big parts of the provinces noord-brabant and zuid-limburg are above sea-level, only "zeeland" is below sea-level, a bigger need for watermills in zeeland

- the vehicles are american, and americans only fought for a very short time in the netherlands, as this sector of the front was allocated to british and canadian troops.

so the diorama is generic, and could be plausible if the title was changed into "netherlands 1944". if you want to place it in a certain area, zeeland is your best option, but zeeland was liberated by canadians, british and polish forces

attached a picture of a "stellingmolen" from my hometown wateringen (close to den haag). the reason the miller built such a high windmill is because he had an argument with his neighbour and at a given time he was so angry that he said "i will build a windmill that high so i can piss into your chimney".... rembrandt van rijn's family used to own a windmill in wateringen, but not this one
Attached Thumbnails
Best Papermodels : Diorama Holland 1944-windlust_wateringen.jpg  

Last edited by Foute Man; 02-02-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:12 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Actually the vehicles are British, a Challenger, and an AEC Dorchester.
As for the whole Holland/Netherlands thing, I am well versed in it, having lived there for 9 years, and having Dutch parents and family.

The model, depicts an area near Arnhem, during Operation Market Garden, this is straight from the old bestpapermodel website which you can check on the wayback machine.

Rick

Last edited by rickstef; 02-13-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Actually the vehicles are British, a Chieftain, and an AEC Dorchester.
As for the whole Holland/Netherlands thing, I am well versed in it, having lived there for 9 years, and having Dutch parents and family.

The model, depicts an area near Arnhem, during Operation Market Garden, this is straight from the old bestpapermidel website which you can check on the wayback machine.

Rick
lol, so i'm wrong in some assumptions.....and i did not check the original description.
this is a windmill in arnhem that slightly resembles the windmill in the diorama. if you click on the "google maps" option, you can view any windmills on the map in the arnhem area, but most of them are the wrong type.....
the windmill i've linked to is a relocated one, it was originally based in Noordlaren, Groningen and moved to the Arnhem open air museum in the 1950's......
Old 02-02-2020, 04:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
My dear mr Airdave,
I sincerely hope your heart is in good condition - if not, I would feel guilty if you had an attaque.
Wishing you (and sgoti, too) the very best,

Diderick A. den Bakker
Old 02-02-2020, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
My dear mr Airdave,
I sincerely hope your heart is in good condition - if not, I would feel guilty if you had an attaque.
Wishing you (and sgoti, too) the very best,

Diderick A. den Bakker
This is between you two, leave me out of it.