PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-05-2020, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
THe one thing I look forwards to is figuring out how to make the IPMS in Virginia. Displaying models isn't important. The first one in 2018, I didn't even bring any. But getting to meet a few of the people that have become like family over the past 20+ years makes the expense and being shoved in an aluminum tube for 6 hours worth it. I even found that I got along with Airdave. I felt like I was among my people for 2 days. Then I had to come home to where I'm the awkward one.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
I live in Tampa. I have no idea what goes on in this town or any others around me. I would love to find someone or a group that designs or builds miniatures. I would also love to tutor if anyone would be interested. I have a local comic store that has many kids who build dioramas for gaming. They went ape when I gave them a few models for display but I never have had a one of them express any interest in building. I'm pretty much a loner.

Hope others have a better story and support.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
I'm pretty much a loner.

me too.
We should get together!

But we could sit in separate rooms? lol

Last edited by airdave; 03-06-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I am kinda thinking that we probably should plan a Kansas City get-together on a small scale. Even though I know we have members in the area, especially if you were to expand the area to Omaha or Tulsa, I've never met any of them. As it is, I feel like a paper hermit sometimes. I think we probably have a lot of members who feel that way
Old 03-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Yep!

AirDave...

Didn't we go to separate schools together?

LOL!
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I am kinda thinking that we probably should plan a Kansas City get-together on a small scale. Even though I know we have members in the area, especially if you were to expand the area to Omaha or Tulsa, I've never met any of them. As it is, I feel like a paper hermit sometimes. I think we probably have a lot of members who feel that way
Since I drive between Burlington Iowa and Wichita on a "quarterly" basis, Kansas City would be doable for me. I know a few folks from Kansas (In Wichita and Erie) that I have met on my trips down that way. Next trip should be in May, so I'll try and remember to PM you so we might have a chance to meet up, if you so desire.

greg

Last edited by modelperry; 03-06-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added a frikkin space between words.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thank you, sir. Do you head west and then down I-35? Or do you cut through the back roads?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Thank you, sir. Do you head west and then down I-35? Or do you cut through the back roads?
I cut across Missouri on Highway 36 and then get on I-35 at Cameron. Usually go around North West of KC, pick up I-70 West to Topeka and then go south on tollway to Wichita.

Although I have changed up the route on occasion and drove straight through the city on I-35 just for different "scenery".

greg
Old 03-07-2020, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
Now your turn: What is your planned involvement for such events this year? Are any of them to be held close to me (Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, or within 7 hours drive from Southeast Iowa)?
I plan to attend a few shows this year, pretty sure none of them are close to you.

I attended my first show last year and it was the biggest plastic model competition/show in Australia, what a way to start... It was the first time I'd felt my models were show-worthy and I was keen to get them "out there" to show what can be done in paper. There's no Paper only events here and although some plastic guys have heard of paper modeling, not a lot of them are aware of what's possible in this medium.

There's no way my models were going to win any prizes in that event but it felt good to get them out on display and see people's reactions when they found out they were paper. There's a guy who regularly attends the event who builds paper ships, he's invited me to join him this year at his table so we can use our models to further promote the paper hobby. I'm hoping to be handing out some sort of information to help people discover paper modeling and give it a go. (If anyone has any ideas here, I'm open to suggestions).

I went on to attend another show, hosted by a club I joined, where two of my models took out first place in their categories. They were voted for by fellow modelers at the event, not officially judged like the big shows. It felt great to be recognised like this by expert plastic modelers and has driven me to want to attend more shows to promote paper modeling to the masses. I have to agree though, the best thing about these shows is rubbing shoulders with fellow modelers, swapping tips and advice etc, so I will be doing it more often this year. Hoping to find a few more paper modelers to attend the big Expo mid-year, as I've been told if enough of us enter our models, they'll give us our own category.

I've created a few custom travel boxes with foam inserts to help transport my models safely and other than a few incidents on that first trip to the show last year, my models are travelling well now. I just wish I had a safe way to get them to survive a flight because I'd seriously consider a trip to the US for an IPMC or something, mostly just for the chance to meet some of you guys I've been watching and admiring from so far away for so long. Although I did notice in the videos from last years convention, somebody took along photos of their models instead of the real thing... That would be an option I'd consider.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 03-07-2020, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
There is nothing like the real models being displayed. Photos can be viewed at home by anyone.

My suggestion is that if you built it, then show it. No one will be impressed by photos especially the "Photoshop" generation....

Isaac
Google Adsense