PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-07-2020, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
I plan to attend a few shows this year, pretty sure none of them are close to you.

I just wish I had a safe way to get them to survive a flight because I'd seriously consider a trip to the US for an IPMC or something, mostly just for the chance to meet some of you guys I've been watching and admiring from so far away for so long. Although I did notice in the videos from last years convention, somebody took along photos of their models instead of the real thing... That would be an option I'd consider.
Well if you do make a trip to an IPMC sometime let me know and I'll do my best to attend as well. Don't worry about bringing models or even pictures of them, everyone would understand. There are a couple folks that do fly in and transport some of their models. Not sure how they do it. Texman would be a good one to talk to about that. As far as handouts, you may want to touch base with Don Boose and Peter Ansoff. They may have some good ideas for you on that front.

As far as the guy that brought pictures, there were legitimate reasons he didn't bring the actual models. Don't remember what they were though.

Also, one of the highlights of the IPMC is the banquet, awards ceremony and the auction. Last year's auction was exceptionally entertaining.

Greg
Old 03-08-2020, 01:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
In days of yore, I served as an officer in IPMS Santa Rosa. When my health deteriorated, that came to an end. At least 6 IPMS chapters lie within 2 hours of my home but I have not visited a museum or attended a model show in 10 years.

In my experience, almost all IPMS members were impressed by detailed, well built card models. Occasionally, 'that guy' would say something unkind, but 'that guy' has a problem with pretty much everything so who cares.

IPMS shows have very strict judging criteria and almost always feature very strict categories. If the people holding a contest do not expect card models, they will not create any categories for them and may have no judges on site with knowledge of the rules for judging them. Awards and table space cost money. If a card model does show up, the people running the show will make a judgement call. Even if the judges really want to fit you in, this may go against you because no category fits and/or no one knows how to properly judge a card model.

As a card modeler, you can vastly improve your show experience by contacting someone from the relevant IPMS Chapter in advance. Tell the person you would like to bring some card models for competition or display. This gives the contest organizers a chance to make ready for the presence of card models. If they say, "no", you save yourself a trip and much disappointment. For best results, contact the organizers a few months in advance, stay in contact with them on a regular basis, and do your best to keep any commitment to show up.

Before taking a model anywhere, one must accept that Fate may intervene and wreck havoc. The person in front of you may slam on the breaks. Boxes may get dropped. It will rain. People bump into display tables and spill drinks. Over zealous ushers will move your models without asking.

Transport and showing definitely place strain on models. Packing care required increases with distance and extremely fragile models never travel well. Sometimes, it is better to leave a super fragile model at home.

One can mitigate some of these problems by attaching each model to a base. Use a base with larger outside dimensions than the model so that nothing overhangs. If someone tries to move your model, they will now handle the base. A base will not slide around in a properly sized transport box. If you put a model on a base but do not attach it, it may get dumped in a moment of forgetfulness. Consider yourself warned.

Model shows are held by model clubs and model clubs consist of people. If you make an effort to forge relationships with members of such a club, they will become much more forthcoming. The more you help them, the more they will help you. I also find that the more you praise them and their work, the more they will praise you and your work. Such is the nature of human interaction.

If you want to display your models in a non-contest venue, consider local museums, book stores, game shops, and military organizations such as a National Guard Armory. Such organizations may be thrilled to feature a static display relevant to their own activities. This requires some work on your part. You will need to research possible organizations, contact them, build a relationship with the people involved, and then build things relevant to their needs.

For example, maybe a local animal museum would enjoy a display of card model birds. Such places are always looking for ways to engage children. Maybe a local book store would enjoy a Halloween themed display, or one for Pearl Harbor Day. The local National Guard Armory may have some display cases for historic vehicles used by the unit. A game store owner may offer some display case space for science fiction models.

Finally, you can start a club of your own, perhaps even an IPMS Chapter. Place notices in local game and model shops. Build a simple website with a calendar of events. Find a local pizza place for meetings. It will go slowly at first but once you build relationships with other local model enthusiasts, it could become a thing.

Maybe, just maybe, you could be the person who eventually causes IPMS to lose the 'P'.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2020, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Photos can be viewed at home by anyone.

My suggestion is that if you built it, then show it. No one will be impressed by photos especially the "Photoshop" generation....

Isaac

Yes and no. As some of you know, I picked up a little part-time gig as a host at Chick-Fil-A on Friday/Saturday nights to fill some gaps in my life. I have ran a one-man office for years, so a year ago, a kid I know was telling me about how they can't keep weekend hosts, so I thought 'What the heck. Why not'. Six weeks later I turned in my app and two weeks after that I was working there. Getting to see people face to face, and all the exercise has been good for me

So many of the guests ask me what I have built lately. Some have even taken up the hobby with their nieces/nephews and grandkids (strange that I don't know of anyone who is doing it with their own kids).

Found out Friday night that a guest is a painter, and he was showing me a painting he did for his grandson of a dinosaur, so I had to show him my dinos. He wanted my business card because he wants to learn more about the hobby