PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
From what I've seen on the one social media I do, Tumblr, the disability and chronic illness community is deeply dis-impressed with the human race at the moment.

They are not at all happy with the panic buying having left nothing of the supplies so many of them (us) need additional quantities of all day every day every year.

I was in retail in past decades and do realize that (on a larger scale in larger cities) there simply are not enough stores and is not enough backstock warehoused in my little county seat farm burg of population less than 10,000 to support a sudden additional demand for 3,000 of any given product.

So that is part of why store shelves are empty.

And in other news,

Saw elsewhere someone post about coming across rumors that toilet paper manufacturers are switching to making masks and thereby reducing the toilet paper supply.

Playing in Google found no, zero, source references to that, but did find article of interest from Japan, which happens to have toilet paper supply problem not directly from coronavirus issues.
Closing statement of article says much,

Quote:
Regardless of whether information doing the rounds on social media is pointed out to be wrong, if products are still disappearing from stores then people will panic. This is a sharp example of the terrors of the so-called "information society."
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/028000c

Middle of article says this,

Quote:
From around the end of February, false information started flying around on social media claiming that the raw materials for masks and toilet paper are the same, and that almost all of the toilet paper that is sold in Japan comes from China. The claims spread to many people, and reportedly led some to start buying up stocks of the products. Hayashi said that this reaction "is all a big mistake."

Masks are manufactured from non-woven fabrics, whereas toilet paper is made from a mix of around 40% pulp and 60% used paper. A large amount of pulp is imported in from North and South America, and obtaining it is reportedly in no way an issue.

The used paper all comes from domestic sources, and there is said to be no concern over supplies. Toilet paper made in China makes up just 1.3% of the rolls available in Japan, and imported toilet paper in general is just 2.3% of national stocks. Which is to say that some 97% of toilet paper in Japan is domestic product. Even if there is a fall in imports from China as a consequence of the coronavirus, the effect will be very small.
Also this, https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51706629

Quote:
Japanese electronics giant Sharp is to use a TV factory to make surgical masks amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Its parent company Foxconn has already done the same in China to supply its own workers as they make iPhone parts.

Sharp's high-end clean rooms in Japan will turn out 150,000 masks a day within weeks, Japanese media report, as domestic supplies have been exhausted.

Experts, however, warn that such masks do little to protect against an airborne infection.
And I think an Important little bitty easily overlooked Detail nugget within that is,

Quote:
... Sharp's high-end clean rooms ...

So, I guess now we need to research how many toilet paper factories have clean rooms in which to make those masks ...
Old 03-16-2020, 04:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
And ...
... there is a growing "conspiracy" within the disabled community to start treating the abled people the way they treat us ...

... "Hey, I got coronavirus and you know a lot about health, do you know what to take to help get over this?" Yes, as a matter of fact I do! Like you told me last year, do yoga, yoga cures it.

... "Hey, I got coronavirus and you know a lot about health, do you know how long it will be to get over it?" Actually, like you told me last month, it's all your fault, the reason you aren't healthy already is because you don't Want to be healthy

Yes, Virginia, there is a simmering undercurrent of anger and resentment in the disability community.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
The situation itself is no laughing matter.

Me? I'm trying to find alternatives to singing "Happy Birthday" or "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" while washing my hands.

Stay sane, and be safe out there!
Oh yeah I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand.
When I say that something
I want to wash your hands!
Old 03-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
I'm in Ohio. Schools are all closed for a minimum of 3wks, all colleges have gone to online only classes, restaurants and bars are closed indefinitely, and all events with more than 100 people have been cancelled.

As an introvert, I feel like I've been training for this my whole life... but now I want to go outside and do stuff. I'd rather have the equivalent of snow days instead of working from home.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
meanwhile, south of the border...
Attached Thumbnails
Covid-19-mexicancoronavirus.jpg  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
and back at home, its no better....
Attached Thumbnails
Covid-19-cnncorona.jpg  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
and back at home, its no better....
lololololol!
Old 03-16-2020, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Ran my own office since 2003, working from home since 2007. The trick to working from home is to 'go to work'. Get up, get ready for work and dress for work. It gets you in the mindset. If you do jeans and a T-shirt, the little things like mowing, etc. become too easy of a distraction.

My daughter-in-law under quarantine, still has to go do a cheek swab every three days for the test. Supposedly it takes 19 hours for the results. If it comes back positive, they have to do another test. The numbers they are reporting on cases here in the States are those who test positive on the second test, not the first one, so we probably have higher numbers who have it than is reported. She was told that it takes 3-4 days to incubate in males, and 4-6 days in females. Females take longer to recover than males. I could go into more of what she was warned about and informed about, but even a lot of that was vague.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
But in the midst of this we are glossing over the fact that influenza a and b are particularly more virulent this year even for the vaccinated. It has claimed more fatalities this year in the USA alone than covid 19 world wide.
Hand washing, keep things clean, try not to hang around sick people if possible. I really don't understand the toilet paper rush as diarrhea is not one of the signs of corona. It is like the flu in relatively healthy people and in most cases not as bad. This will take the course as the other pandemic scares, anyone remember Ebola, Sars ? funny as that has "run its course".
Ride it out, build models, work from home, don't go on cruise ships or visit the great wall. funny as 2 closely packed nations such as china and india haven't had major portions of their populations go down and out.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Like many of us, I'm retired so staying at home isn't an issue, BUT: I'm closing on a new to me house on March 18. Cash deal, fixer-upper. I'll be living in my current home until this place is ready - before covid I was figuring mid-late June for making the move. Now, I'm not so sure on timing. This is a total gut job, so I'm concerned with 1. availability of building/remodeling materials which pretty much all come from China. 2.Continuing health of the contractors and their teams through the demo/remodel process. 3. The hole left in my finances before I can sell my house to replenish what I'll be spending. 4. What's going to happen to the housing market in 2020? Will demand increase or decrease? Will prices go up or down? I'll tell you, I'm at the hairy edge of calling the whole thing off and forfeiting the down payment and legal fees.
Closed Thread