PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
Wow. I was just trying to lighten the mood!

I totally see your point Texman. Sometimes laughter in the face of disaster is the best way to cope.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Speaking of coping, I'm going to take the liberty of sharing this from a member of the disability and chronic illness community over on Tumblr,
(the user's name will make more sense after you Google "spoon theory")

Quote:
sofaspooniethoughts

I’ve seen a lot of advice for social distancing and isolation that specifically mentions sticking to a routine. That’s good advice for a lot of people. The problem is that it excludes people like me – people with chronic illness / pain.

I already spend most of my time at home, alone. Let me tell you, for whatever reason it is necessary, it sucks. Not being able to get up and get out and do what you want to do, it sucks! For people like me this is constant reality, not just for a limited time.

I need a lot of sleep [often during the day too] and all standing/walking/activity causes me pain. So basic parts of routine such as waking and getting up at a set time and showering every day are not possible for people in my position.

Hobbies help – mine are reading, crochet, and teaching myself German. But the main thing that helps? Being kind to yourself. Understanding that you have limits and it’s okay to not always try to push past them. Giving yourself kudos for the things that you do manage to do.

Treat yourself the way you would treat a friend or family member in the same position. You’d be understanding, right? You’d be empathetic and kind.

I’ve also seen a lot of jokes about what amazing thing different people created due to being forced to stay at home. Good for them. Creating is great and if people get meaning out of doing that then I’m all for it.

But for people like me it can sound like another part of our culture that expects everyone to be productive. That you are only meaningful in this society if you are productive in a way that benefits others. If you are someone like me who is already unable to work, and unable to participate in this one specific, expected, way: be kind to yourself and understand your worth comes from a myriad of different things. You are enough.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I'm closing this. Some one decided to make it their personal
vendetta.

This was meant as a humerus post for modelling.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Closed Thread