PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-20-2020, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
If the phishing email/text/etc contains a link, its usually looking for you to try to log into an account (usually at a fake website).
This is how they get your log in credentials.

If you get a message that you think could be legit, don't use the links in the message.
Go to the site using your normal browser bookmark or type in the site address and log in through the normal route to check on things.

If there are no links or link backs, then they are just looking for a reply.
This way they get a valid response and add you to their spam lists.

I didn't know you could get an attachment in a text message?

Yes, I know you can get an html link in a text message.
My daughter is always sending me amazon links in her texts (to things she wants me to buy her, lol).
I click them because I trust text messages from her.
But its different when i get emails from her...because they could be fake.

Are you talking about Messenger, or facebook messaging, or something like that?
Those can have attachments.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
My daughter is always sending me amazon links in her texts (to things she wants me to buy her, lol).
Every time I get those I send back job ads from Craigslist.That usually stops them.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
I especially like the phone calls about lowering my interest rate on my credit card. For a long time we got phone calls spoofing a local number where the robot voice identified itself as "Kelly" and said something about her headset and not catching what you said. Do people actually not get this?

My oldest brother lives in Alaska and he is in his 80s. He used to get those calls where the caller claims to be his grandson and to be in trouble and couldn't/didn't want to get hold of his parents. He would string them along for a bit then offer to call their dad (his son).
Old 03-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Every time I get those I send back job ads from Craigslist.That usually stops them.
haha
I get it.

but my daughter gets just about anything she asks for.
...not just because shes my daughter,
but because she's been through a lot growing up,
and has worked very hard to get where she is,
and I am very proud of her.

shameless bragging
Attached Thumbnails
Evil low-lifes, Malware emails and virus attachments-2019-nbha-buckle.jpg   Evil low-lifes, Malware emails and virus attachments-sarah-jas.jpg  
Old 03-20-2020, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I block sender rather than open any link. My cell phone is "Cactus in The Butt" mobile unit apologizing for the delay in insertion due to the high volume of insertions.
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 AM

"Dance of the Pope" video

Maybe you know more about this than I do.
A friend just sent me some info on it since it was included in an earlier message (fake)sent from his facebook account.

Apparently its a video link/attachment that targets mobile users and contains a virus of some kind.

Thats all I know...might just be more facebook bs...but you never know.

The amount of garbage circulating on facebook is ridiculous.
Half-truths, lies, spam, clickbait, phishing efforts.
Why can't people just post pics of their breakfast and leave it at that?

I wish everyone could stop falling for the "please repost this" and "share this if you care" scam.
These are all lies and just attempts to generate facebook user lists, ad linking and spread spam.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
This is great advice, Dave, and I thank you for sharing it.

No matter how bad a situation, some jackass will try to profit from it at others’ expense.

Wyvern
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
If you are running Windows 10, activate the Sandbox program, a simulated OS, and do your browsing and downloading from inside the Sandbox using either Microsoft Edge which comes installed in the Sandbox or pasting a copy of your favorite browser into the Sandbox. If anything malicious gets uploaded into your computer via the Sandboxed browser the malware is supposed to stay inside the Sandbox, unless you deliberately cut and paste it from the Sandbox into your real OS. When you exit the Sandbox, everything in it is deleted.
If you are still running an old version of Windows, download, install and learn how to use SANDBOXIE, (https://www.sandboxie.com) a program that runs other programs including browsers in an isolated section of the computer's memory.
Sandbox and Sandboxie will both help keep malware from being permanently installed on your Windows computer.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.35 GB
Once upon a time most people were (?) trustworthy but with our electronic age anybody can be whoever they like. My son is caught by a dating site. He wont listen to our advice, flatly refuses to talk to me, and is constantly annoyed when the bank takes money from his account he can not understand the way financial matters are attended to.
Three years ago he was involved in a car accident and spent some time in ICU and has come out with some brain damage. He is always right, knows everything and does not need to listen to anyone.
The dating site take money for everything he does, we stopped the bank paying out so my son gives the dating sight more information that we know nothing of and so the rip-off starts all over again. He is desperate for friends and he thinks the 'girls' on the other end love him and would do anything for him. Some time ago we discovered that he gave one $1200.00 she asked for. He had to get an advance on his pension to do it which he is still paying back.
Dating sites are just as bad as plain scammers!

MIKE
Old 03-22-2020, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
and has worked very hard to get where she is,
Photo really shows the concentration on her face and the determination on the horse's face, cool. They both are putting their all in to the event.
Google Adsense