PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
My 10c, as I may have mantioned b4 I've more than 20yrs in IT & right now this is the best back-up/migration/restoration software I've used (& has free version)
Macrium - encrypted back-ups are vital vs real ransomware
https://www.macrium.com
Incremental consolidated back-ups are a major space saver.

If you do 'throwaway' work (migrating all vital stuff to external storage or to the cloud etc & want a permanently clean PC try Faronics Deep Freeze (& great for kids PCs who luv to click stuff they shouldn't).
https://www.faronics.com/deep-freeze-on-cloud

In any event -
Make regular back-ups to disc - BD or DVD - cared for properly these 'should' last 75+ years (IIRC Verbatim tests show lifespan c. 150yrs). Physical drives are much more unreliable - if you want to know how much more reliable a disc is than a drive consider that banks back-up to disc & in triplicate. (3 copies of each disc).

With all physical Drives the number of power-ups & the type & duration of use is critical to lifespan.
Most HDDs no longer have 3yr warranties, historically some came with 5yrs as standard, depending on buyer & territory. This isn't just about extending profits...

Anything solid state (usb drives etc) is generally like a light-bulb if it fails, data is GONE.

Mechanical HDD - can reliably last up to 10yrs but to be safe after 3-5yrs they should be viewed as on borrowed time.
SSD - also can last 10yrs, but subject to type & usage 3-5 is safe - same as HDD.
Remember this is what should happen, but isn't something to gamble on without backups. I've thrashed an SSD for 4 yrs (more than 14hrs per day, heavy write strategies, multiple reboots & power-ups etc & it still shows <85% green, so I know they can really last as well as an HDD.

On the scammers - There is a network of corruption & coercion in India/Pakistan that ensures some legitimate people MUST work as scammers if they want a legit job in their future. It is also interesting to see which Western companies are tacitly involved in this system, operating outside local laws & taxes...
Reformed scammer

Background

Labour cost - $130 for 24 days