PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-11-2020, 12:35 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
A call to arms or cutting mats

Hi all,

In one of the more recent Glue threads, I posed the question if a wiki, table, whatever would be beneficial showing all the various types of glues we use, and which ones are available in each country.(here if you want to make sure i said what i just said)

I know we can populate this list rather quickly, after all, we are World Wide.
So what should the format be?
Wiki
Excel Spreadsheet
some other database
Offer some suggestions, and examples.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2020, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Rick:
I vote for excel spreadsheet I have used that format in the far distant past and do have the program on my computer. I have no idea what the other programs are.
All cutting mats are not created equal
Miles
Old 04-12-2020, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
Hi Rick

that's a great idea, especially as most of the glues, spray finishes and paper types mentioned on here only seem to be available in the U.S.

I think a table would be the most effective type of layout, perhaps with headings for things such as the name, 'type' of glue (water based, solvent, ca etc), consistency, drying time, recommended uses, pros/cons etc etc. Or maybe just one simple sentence explaining the basics.

I'd also agree with Miles with a vote for Excel. It's easy to use and access (perhaps with a separate sheet for each country), and anybody who downloaded it could easily customise it and add their own notes etc. For anyone who doesn't have access to the software, I believe the results can be converted and made available as PDF or Word documents. I'm not 100% certain about that as it's been a while since I actually used Excel. I've been running a version of Linux for a while now and the equivalent (Free!) software is Libre Calc, which can open and handle Excel files. Another thing in its favour.