PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-06-2020, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
I would advise you to study hard and complete all assignments on time, learn to understand and meet deadlines. Also be aware of the multitude of different influences and people around you, understand society in all its nuances. I went into college with the set idea to become a certain thing. One chance remark by an insightful lecturer changed that into a course that led me down many different paths and had me gather many different skills that have enabled me to work in different areas of artistic endeavor . Just be aware that you are entering an institution that will present many opportunities over and above your initial intended field so don't be surprised if change is in your academic future.
While college will give you an education in whatever field you choose it will also give you the experiences needed to be a valuable and responsible member of society. Don't waste the years you are about to spend in study, just remember not to wear blinkers. Good luck in your endeavors and do let us all know of your progress.

Derek
Old 08-07-2020, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Thank you all for taking the time to write out responses! It's so interesting to listen to the perspective of those who have gone through the journey of life and the different avenues that life leads to.

To answer rickstef's questions, I'll give it a shot but the hard thing for me is that my answers to his questions are all over the place which makes it harder for me to gain clarity on my situation.

My best subject in school by far was math. I got the hang of concepts very quickly and could generally get good scores on tests just from completing the homework and it always felt like the subject that was "natural" to me. On the other hand, science was my weakest subject. With the exception of biology, where my affinity for memorization made the class easy, I came across much more friction in chemistry and physics than I was used to. Looking back now I think that I hadn't developed good study habits and enough persistence in unfamiliar topics. Also I have been studying physics over the summer and having now taken calculus and now that I'm always looking for proofs and trying to understand the why of physics, I'm actually understanding the topic. History and Literature are topics that just felt like thinking work I needed to get through but was achievable if I put enough time in. Interestingly I found philosophy to be the most interesting class and enjoyed everything about that class other than the amount of work.

History books are what I always reach for but I have been taking photography seriously for the past three years so that's what I reach for now. However there is probably some good overlap between history and the photography books I reach for.

In terms of pure enjoyment, photography, philosophy, and history are at the top of my list. However, I am wary of the consequences when you end up doing work with your passion; I briefly interned at my school district for the communications office and having to edit photos for a professional purpose drained the joy out of the hobby for me. So I am thinking that pursuing mathematics would be a good way to achieve work-life balance; I view math as work already but work that is at best enjoyable and at worst a nuisance. Then photography could become a good side hustle while still being a fulfilling hobby.

Lex, your dad was so unfortunate to not be able to attend due to funds, that's such a shame. The university's beefed up their financial aid program in recent years and that's the main reason I am able to attend the university.

Touching on retirement, is that something that is generally a benefit that comes with jobs or is it something that you have to consciously allocate a portion of your paycheck to every month?

Thank you all again for your replies!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Retirement. Interesting question. I'd certainly advise the portion per month as a beginning.
If you are fortunate enough to work in a situation where the company has a pension plan that's another plus. In my case I managed to get into a situation where I had to join a union which now pays me a regular pension amount on top of the social security payment. At some point you may wish to consult a tax consultant and consider a financial planner , both of which have been a benefit to my wife and I. To consider this at so early in your career, whatever it may turn out to be, is truly commendable. Again, good luck.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:49 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I totally resonate with your journey, and it's amazing how college can open unexpected doors. Your emphasis on understanding society's nuances is spot-on—life skills matter as much as the academic ones.