PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-05-2020, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Chicago, College, and Career

I've been on this forum now for around four years, and through listening to the thoughts and advice from members in this wonderful community, I've matured tremendously as a person and as a model builder. So I'd like to ask the paper modeling community for some advice on my next steps in life.

In the fall, I will be attending Northwestern University as an Applied Math major in the engineering school. Now, I don't know the Chicago area too well, and I am not quite sure what I want to be doing in my future career. I'm not even entirely sure if engineering is right for me.

I know that many members here have been in the workforce for quite a while or are retired from the workforce. May I ask for insights into how to make the most out of the "university phase," how to deal with having to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life, and possibly some recommendations for things to do in Chicago, both for leisure and maybe job-related things? I'd find such insight invaluable in my decision-making in the future. Thank you in advance!
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2020, 05:07 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
ok, first question first, what do you enjoy doing?
what was your best school subject?
what kind of book do you pick up when you go to the bookstore?
Once you can answer those, without fooling yourself, then you know what to do.

For me, it was Geography, and then morphed into Cartography and GIS, but I still pick up an Earth Science related book, it was my strongest subject, and also the subject of my graduate certificate and masters
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-05-2020, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Chicago...wonderful city. The Art Institute and the Field Museum. Great public transport system. The Loop isn't quite what it used to be as it has lost most, if not all of its bookstores. In pre pandemic days the restaurants were legion, not too sure what the situation is now or will be in the future. Hopefully it will all come back. Summer can be a bear with the humidity and the winter months can be trying but , all in all, Chicago is still a great place and Northwestern is a fine university. Congratulations on getting in and best wishes for your future success . You should find building the occasional model a great stress relief from study (that's according to my two daughters who graduated from Santa Cruz about a decade ago...)

Derek
Old 08-05-2020, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Ah when my dad was in the US, he had an offer for a Masters at Northwestern. Sadly he was working at a Chinese restaurant back then and didn't have the funds to go. I had been to US up and down quite a few times but have spend at most an hour at Chicago O'Hare.

Now about yourself,

People are in universities for different reasons: First, around you there might be the 'rush' to succeed. Upon entry, some may already be determined to be top lawyers, top investment bankers, top politicians, because that's their definition of success. Every minute you are not working towards that goal, either polishing your CV, maintaining contacts, etc, is a minute wasted. Another kind of people see university as a place to work towards the best paying jobs as they feel the pressure to survive in the society, these constantly think about their time in university in terms of investing in potential increase in their salary. These two groups of people are very focused, and would not question their goals. Of course, there are also people who is in university to mess about. Don't be those people, be responsible to yourself, you don't need to be in a university to mess around.

On the other hand, there are some people, perhaps like you, who aren't yet quite sure what to devote their life to. I was one of those, and for me university is a place to explore. It's a free environment, nobody is going to tell you to not do something, and there is little cost for trying. Only about one in ten people work in what they study at university. Mathematics is an especially adaptive major, and there are many career prospects. The US university system also makes it easy to switch between different subjects. Try different options, things that you might never have thought you'd do. Get out of your comfort zone and explore: it will be very sad to find out what you like, only at the end of your life - don't be one of those people. Also, make friends. University is your last chance to know a lot of people without a potential conflict in interest.

So why is it important to explore?

If you are at university age now, you are looking to be working full-time until at least the age of 80 based on current forecasts of human life expectancy. So you should really make sure you end up in a profession that you don't mind working in. Maybe 'liking' is too much to ask for, as most things become boring if repeated, but at least you shouldn't be hating what you do.

Our world is a changing place. 20 years (a generation) ago humans still haven't stepped fully into the internet age. 20 years from now most professions we do today might not even exist. Thus, you should not base your decision on past experiences of others. Well of course some aspects of human society will never change, but make sure to look to the future, changes can happen faster than we can adapt. Although your career plan right now might not even be viable in 10 years time, same goes to whoever advises you on the same subject. The best way to know is to try, it's one of the most important life decisions. To sum up, I am with Rick on this one, and answering Rick's question is very difficult for a lot of people. Believe me, many are yet to figure out their answer.

For myself, I did metallurgy, then aeronautical engineering, worked in Formula 1 engineering, concept artist, currently a university lecturer, but this may not last.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Lex's comments are really excellent. I was accepted at Northwestern, but finally decided on Michigan State as a chemical engineering major. Decided I didn't like the weather or the major. Bailed out and moved to Southern Cal. Eventually after a bit over 10 years got a BA degree from Cal State University, Fullerton in Art - graphic design emphasis. Loved it, but after 20 plus years the company I was working for at the time as advertising manager got bought up and shut down. Applied for a design position at Valley Metro (transit service in Phoenix Metro area) and while there filled out for a driver's position. Well got that and spend over 14 years doing it which did get me a decent wage plus a retirement package. If you'd told me that when I was 18 I would have thought you were out of your freaking mind. So stay fluid.
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2020, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
If I can add some input, also study what you want to go into, and keep abreast of any changes. For instance, I love airplanes and drawing, so my dream was to go into aeronautical drafting and design. I even took a drafting class during summer in elementary school, with the big drafting tables, more types of pencils and rulers than I could name, and all the joys I could ever want. By the time I got to college age, it was all computerized, and the big table, rulers and pencils had changed to punching numbers into a computer, two things I don't do well with, so I ended up dropping out of college.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
When I was at school I sort of envied those kids who said "when I grow up I want to be an engine driver/policeman/fireman/whatever", simply because I've never known what I wanted to do. I've always had so many interests I could never decide on a particular avenue of work. As a result, I've ended up doing a variety of things, including going to uni at the tender age of forty (they call it a 'mature' student, I prefer 'middle aged'!). I'm now pushing 60 and still haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up ;o)

My piece of advice (for what it's worth) would be - if you really can't decide what you'd like to do as a career, don't worry or fret about it, and certainly DON'T let it get you down. Life has a habit of working out, and one thing you have on your side is time.

Oh and don't forget to sort out a pension - it'll be here before you know it ;o) Good luck and enjoy your time at uni.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
From my experience I would advise looking into anything but university.

From all of my friends that went to U of any sort maybe one or two actually ended up in career based on degree they got.Everyone else ended up bouncing around far and away from it and after additional training/courses settled in something completely different field.Most of them had hard time paying off loans and that added to pressures in marriages with predictable results.

Think of where you want to find yourself in 20 years accounting for where things are heading.If I was you now and in good health I would go for military paid engineering education.Army,Navy,Air Force-they all have their own college and university level facilities and imho will be hard to find better place to get meaningful education and career starter.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
From my experience I would advise looking into anything but university.

From all of my friends that went to U of any sort maybe one or two actually ended up in career based on degree they got.Everyone else ended up bouncing around far and away from it and after additional training/courses settled in something completely different field.Most of them had hard time paying off loans and that added to pressures in marriages with predictable results.

Think of where you want to find yourself in 20 years accounting for where things are heading.If I was you now and in good health I would go for military paid engineering education.Army,Navy,Air Force-they all have their own college and university level facilities and imho will be hard to find better place to get meaningful education and career starter.
To extend on the military thing, if you do go in, consider staying for the long term. My father and brother both went into the Air Force. Dad retired after 25 years, and had a guaranteed $3000 a month retirement with disability (flying from the US to Vietnam repeatedly in unpressurized cargo planes worked a number on his lungs.) Plus after he passed away, his funeral and gravesite were paid in full by the military. All we had to pay for was the stealth black casket. My brother on the other hand got out after 4 years, and gets none of that. PLus a lot of companies do good things for military veterans, from giving preference in hiring, to free training. There's an Air Conditioning company here that offers free air conditioner repair schooling to veterans.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
All good advice above. My only thought would be to prepare for the good opportunities when they come along. Take courses that will afford flexible plans for the future. I've had many abrupt changes in my professional life, none of them foreseen or planned for. Aim for what you enjoy doing. I spent 21 years in the Air Force, which provides me with a steady income. That's important now with so many forced out of work. But there's few individuals that become millionaires going this route. I guess I just have to quote Shakespeare, "to your own self be true". Just strive to be a good person and enjoy the ride that life gives you.
Google Adsense